POLITICO Journalism Institute (PJI) 2018 for university students (Funded)
Application Deadline: 11:59 PM on January 15, 2018.
POLITICO is now accepting applications for its fifth session of the POLITICO Journalism Institute (PJI), an educational initiative focused on supporting diversity in Washington newsrooms.
The POLITICO Journalism Institute is a two week program (running from May 29, 2018-June 8, 2018) offering intensive, hands-on training for up to twelve university students interested in covering government and politics.
Programming for PJI includes interactive sessions, panels with industry leaders, mentor pairings with POLITICO journalists and an opportunity for participants to have their work published by POLITICO. Throughout the program, PJI students split their time between American University in Washington, D.C., and POLITICO headquarters in Arlington, VA. All costs for PJI participants, including room, board and transportation, are covered by POLITICO.
Applicants who are rising juniors or seniors at accredited four-year colleges or universities will be given preference. Student members of minority journalism associations are encouraged to apply. At the conclusion of the program, two students will be selected for a three-month residency in the POLITICO newsroom where they will write, edit and produce content.
- In addition, two students are selected each year to return for a three-month residency in the POLITICO newsroom, where they will write, edit and produce content.
- The POLITICO Residency Program, also entering its fifth year, includes two paid positions and housing allowances. Both programs reflect POLITICO’s ongoing support of journalism education, a more diverse industry and recruitment of top-notch talent.
- PJI students split their time between American University in Washington, D.C., and POLITICO headquarters in Arlington, Va.
- All costs for PJI participants, including room, board and transportation, are covered by POLITICO.
Please include the following with your application:
- A resume
- Links/PDFs to 4 to 6 clips of your best journalistic work
- A PDF document with a response (in no more than 500 words) to the following question: Why should we choose you to participate in the POLITICO Journalism Institute?
- We also ask that you include one letter of recommendation. Please instruct your reference to send their letter electronically to email@example.com with your name in the subject line.
For More Information: