Application Deadline: September 1st 2016
The Research Council Policy Internships scheme provides the opportunity for research council-funded PhD students to work for three months in one of a selected group of highly influential policy organisations.
The internship scheme significantly contributes to the skills and professional development of PhD students. Benefits include the opportunity to network within the policy arena and develop a range of transferable skills and knowledge such as report writing and time management. Hosts also benefit from the additional resource provided by students and help in the production of briefing papers and contribution to the organisation’s policy evidence base.
Students gain an extension to their ESRC award and are able to claim for travel and accommodation costs.
Participating host organisations for 2016
ESRC funded students are only permitted to apply for policy internships hosted by the Government Office for Science and the following six partners:
- Department for Business Innovation and Skills
- Cabinet Office
- Home Office
- Public Health England
- Scrutiny Unit
- Sentencing Council
Information regarding individual host organisations and the opportunities available can be found using the links below:
- Cabinet Office – Centre for Social Action (PDF, 98Kb)
- Cabinet Office – Modern Electoral Registration Programme (PDF, 90Kb)
- Cabinet Office – Social Impact Bonds (PDF, 87Kb)
- Cabinet Office – Social Investment Team (PDF, 81Kb)
- Cabinet Office – Youth Policy Team (PDF, 87Kb)
- Department of Business, Innovation and Skills (PDF, 91Kb)
- Home Office – Commercial Victimisation Survey (PDF, 68Kb)
- Home Office – Crime and Policing Data – Geographical Analysis (PDF, 56Kb)
- Home Office – Crime and Policing Knowledge Hub (PDF, 52Kb)
- Home Office – Crime Patterns (PDF, 52Kb)
- Home Office – Drugs and Alcohol Research Team (PDF, 52Kb)
- Home Office – Fraud (PDF, 65Kb)
- Home Office – Migration Advisory Committee (PDF, 58Kb)
- Home Office – Migration and Border Analysis – Managed Migration Team (PDF, 58Kb)
- Home Office – Migration and Border Analysis – Syrian Resettlement Evaluation (PDF, 56Kb)
- Home Office – Migration and Border Analysis – Econometric Modelling of Visa Demand (PDF, 52Kb)
- Home Office – Online Chlid Sexual Exploitation (PDF, 68Kb)
- Public Health England (PDF, 87Kb)
- Scrutiny Unit (PDF, 89Kb)
- Sentencing Council (PDF, 90Kb)
How to apply
Applicants should complete the online application form. Applicants must upload three documents before submitting their application:
- Signed Funding and Permissions Form
- Policy briefing.
Assessment of applications is a two stage process: there will be an assessment of the written application and applicants successful at this stage will be invited to interview. Both stages of the assessment process will be undertaken by the host organisation.
Please note, only one application can be submitted by each applicant. The applicant must specify within their application which host organisation they wish to undertake an internship with and bear in mind any organisation specific guidance provided when preparing their application.
For More Information: