This scholarship was awarded for the first time in 2014. Sir Ninian Stephen was Chairman of the Menzies Foundation from 1992 to 1998. The co-named scholarship recognises Sir Ninian’s eminence and contributions to Australian and international law and governance as a lawyer, High Court judge, international jurist and Governor-General.
The scholarship is jointly funded by the Menzies Foundation and the Commonwealth Government. Applicants are encouraged to consider undertaking a course of study at a prestigious university in Asia.
- Candidates must be Australian citizens, have been resident in Australia for at least five of the last ten years, and be available in person for interview in Melbourne at the time of selection in mid-October 2015.
- At the time of application, candidates must hold a law degree with an academic record in law that is equivalent to a First Class Honours Degree, normally from an Australian university.
The qualities sought include:
i. Academic excellence
ii. Leadership, both proven and potential
iii. Interest and experience in the service of others
iv. Extra-curricular activities and interests
v. Ability to contribute to the life of the university.
University and other expenses
(a) Tuition fees or a research grant equivalent, examination and other compulsory fees – subject to approval by the Foundation.
(b) A grant of $200 towards the typing and binding of a thesis if required.
Personal living allowance
Allowances will be determined by the Foundation to suit local circumstances in the country of study. As a guide, current allowances in the UK are £12,750 (if enrolled at a university outside London) and £14,750 (if enrolled at a London university) per annum, payable in three instalments.
(a) An economy airfare from Australia to the country of study.
(b) A similar airfare to return to Australia, provided the scholar returns within 12 months of completing the course of study specified in the letter of award.
Method Of Application
- The secure online application form is available from the Menzies Foundation scholarships website at https://applications.menziesfoundation.org.au
- Original or legally certified copies of documents such as Academic Transcripts or Naturalisation Certificate must be immediately available to the Menzies Foundation on request.
- For queries, please contact the Menzies Foundation at email@example.com