Application Deadline: 31 January 2016.
The SI Summer Academy for Young Professionals (SAYP) is a training programme developed to build awareness, capacity and resilience in the practice of governance in the Baltic Sea region and the countries in the EU Eastern Partnership.
The aim of SAYP is also to strengthen young professionals and their individual capabilities to meet the requirements of a modern governance structure. The overall thematic framework is sustainable modern governance. In the SAYP, the participants will be able to expand their own contact networks and share ideas, experiences and challenges.
SAYP is part of the SI Baltic Sea Region Cooperation and is a result of the increased focus on the EU Eastern Partnership, which aims to develop and strengthen relations between EU and its eastern neighbours.
SAYP welcomes participants from Belarus, Estonia, Georgia, Lithuania, Moldova, Sweden and Ukraine.
Who can participate?
The programme is targeted primarily at young professionals (up to 35 years old) already employed in the state structures, working with development of policy and measures to create a more transparent, resilient and efficient public administration. Applicants may preferably work within financial management/control and audit services, but may also work in other parts of the administration. Young professionals from the following groups are welcome to apply:
- Public servants (non-political civil servants working at government agencies)
- Policymakers (politicians, government officials, employees of political parties)
- Civil society workers (CSO/NGO volunteers/employees)
Participation in the programme is offered free of charge and includes, meals, accommodation and travel expenses to Sweden. Some minor expenses may be expected during the stay in Sweden, depending on what the participants choose to do in their spare time and during the free days in the weekend.
How to apply?
The application is made electronically, using the SI online application portal. You need to go through the following steps in order to apply for participation in SAYP 2016:
- Prepare your Motivation letter according to the SI template. Motivation letters in any other templates or formats are NOT valid. Make sure to read the questions in the Motivation Letter thoroughly and be specific and personal in your reasoning. Without exception, answers may not exceed the allowed number of characters (letters and spaces) for each question.
- Prepare your Curriculum Vitae (CV) in the Europass format of maximum 3 pages. A CV submitted in any other format than the Europass is NOT valid. Additional pages will be disregarded.
- Prepare a Letter of Reference according to the SI template. Remember that a letter of reference that is not signed is NOT valid.
- Apply using the SI online application portal and attach the necessary enclosures. The link to the application portal will be available on this page during the application period 4–31 January 2016. Remember that an application that has not been submitted within this period will not be taken into consideration.
After finishing the course, the participants should be able to:
- discuss and understand the values of sustainable public management, especially concerning the role of management in governance structures and in promoting change;
- make relevant value judgements within the public sphere, such as equality, transparency and public ethos;
- formulate a project aimed at cross-sectorial collaboration and social- and public innovation within set timeframes and, as a part of a team, prepare and present this project;
- use their specific skills and knowledge to contribute to a process of mutual learning; and
- discuss effects of bad governance and present practices of how bad governance can be countered.
Through SAYP, the participants will be able to expand their own contact networks and share ideas, experiences and challenges. The participants may also take part in follow-ups and thematic workshops afterwards, as fellows of the Swedish Institute Alumni Network – a vast professional and global contact network meant to keep building good practice and underpin mutual learning processes for a sustainable future.
Key dates and deadlines for SAYP 2016
- 4–31 January 2016: Application period
- Beginning of March 2016: Successful candidates are confirmed for participation
- 13–24 June 2016: Main two-week thematic module, held at Malmö University
- October–November 2016: Evaluation and next step
- November 2016 – January 2017: Preliminary local follow-up workshops arranged together with the SI Alumni Network and the SAYP module organisers
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the