Application Deadline: 17 May
Thomson Reuters Foundation, in partnership with the European Forum Alpbach and with the support of the National Endowment for Democracy, will run a reporting workshop for ten journalists from Central and Eastern Europe (CEE) EU member states at the European Forum Alpbach from the 22nd-27th August. During the programme, participants will be able to examine the relationship between ‘Liberty and Security’ together with a host of experts from the worlds of business, politics, culture and civil society.
The European Forum Alpbach is an interdisciplinary platform for science, politics, business, and culture. Established in 1945, the annual European Forum Alpbach addresses the relevant socio-political questions of our time. This year, its general theme is “Liberty and Security”.
In order to participate, you will need to…
• Be a professional journalist from Central and Eastern Europe (CEE). Possible countries are: Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia.
• Have a strong interest as well as professional focus on the topics democracy, politics and law.
• Be active in working in any of those media: print, radio, TV, or online.
• Have a minimum of one year’s experience in the profession.
• Be either working full-time for a media organisation, or be a freelancer whose main work is journalism.
• Commit to writing at least one article that will be published in your media (regional, national language).
We will cover your travel costs (up to EURO 300 per Person), accommodation costs from August 22-27 and the participation fee at the Political and Legal Symposium.
When applying you will be asked to upload the following documents – please have these ready:
• Your CV and a short motivational statement (up to 1000 characters including spaces).
• 2 work samples (maximum file size 5 MB). Your work should demonstrate that you are actively concerned with topics relating to democracy, politics, and law.
• A letter from your editor consenting to your participation in the programme and committing to publish/broadcast at least one story.
• In the case of freelancers, your application should be accompanied by a letter from a media house that publishes your work and expresses interest in publishing or broadcasting a piece from the Forum.
For more Information: