Application Deadline:n your local timezone (GMT -4)
TechCongress is building 21st century government with technology talent through our Congressional Innovation Fellowship. We are bridging the divide between Congress and the technology sector by placing tech savvy individuals like you to work with Members of Congress and Congressional Committees in order to build capacity in Congress, train cross-sector leaders — who can understand the challenges of government and in the technology community — and keep Congress up to date about the latest challenges and opportunities relating to technology.
As a Congressional Innovation Fellow you will:
- Work with TechCongress to choose a placement with a Member or Congress or Congressional Committee and report directly to a senior staffer (like a Chief of Staff or Staff Director) in that office from January through December 2019.
- Perform duties similar to other Congressional staff by applying your experience in technology to a variety of work, including:
- Researching relevant policymaking (on issues like encryption, autonomous vehicle regulations, health IT, government hacking, privacy, open data, cyber/data security and many others)
- Helping educate Members and staff about these issues.
- Analyzing legislation.
- Preparing for and organizing Committee hearings, markups, or investigations.
- Building coalitions with partners and other groups.
- Develop and produce a fellowship project on an issue of your choosing. Past projects include writing and introducing legislation, and organizing an association of tech staffers.
- Support TechCongress by writing about and presenting on your experience periodically, and represent TechCongress and the Congressional Innovation Fellowship at meetings or events.
- College graduate, with at least three years of work or postgraduate study.
- Tech savvy, with experience working in or studying the technology sector.
- Great interpersonal and communications skills.
- Some technical ability.
- Ability to explain technology to those that aren’t as familiar with technology tools or concepts.
- Track record of success taking initiative and working with others.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, collaborative environment.
- Committed to helping get Members of Congress and Congressional staff up to speed on technology issues.
No experience working in or with government? Great! We’re not looking for that. The Congressional Innovation Fellowship is an opportunity to expose technology leaders like you to Capitol Hill. It is first and foremost and educational experience, giving you a one-of-its-kind education into how Congress and the government works.
The Congressional Innovation Fellowship is an opportunity for early – mid career technology professionals to get hands on experience working in Congress and learn about the policymaking process. The program embraces diversity and believes that a wide range of views, backgrounds and experience will contribute to improved policy outcomes. Candidates from underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
Citizenship is not a requirement to apply. TechCongress is unable to assist with visa applications or renewals but anyone legally authorized to work in the United States through the duration of the fellowship and holding a US bank account is eligible to apply.
- Have experience working in or with technology, and the ability to convey complex technical subjects to less-technically savvy individuals.
- Have some professional experience or be enrolled in or near completion of a graduate level program.
- Have a strong desire help build the Congressional Innovations Fellows program. As part of the 2019 class, fellows should expect to give ongoing feedback about fellowship activities, rapidly prototype and help build the pipeline for technological expertise into Congress.
The Congressional Innovation Fellowship provides a unique opportunity to change Congress by injecting desperately needed technological expertise into the Legislative Branch. Fellows receive competitive stipend and benefits during their nine month residency to ensure that they can achieve maximum impact.
- $80,000/year equivalent stipend
- Health insurance supplement of up to $400/month*
- Relocation allowance of up to $2,500
- Equipment or travel allowance of up to $1,500
When & Where
- Fellowship runs from January 7, 2019 to December 31, 2019 (with an optional one-month extension the following year).
- This is a full-time position based in Washington, DC.
For More Information: