Application Deadline: October 22nd, 2018
The Asia Foundation Development Fellows program is a dynamic and multifaceted learning program designed for highly talented Asian individuals, under age 40, to enhance their leadership skills, Asian development knowledge, professional networks, and international exposure. The program reflects the Foundation’s six-decade tradition of investing in the region’s most promising future leaders. The 2019 program will consist of two intensive modules, including two weeks in Asia and another two weeks in the United States, allowing Fellows to stay in their current occupations during the Fellowship year.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
Asia Foundation Development Fellows must:
- Have a demonstrable record of experience and accomplishment related to The Asia Foundation’s fields of expertise: governance and law, economic development, women’s empowerment, environment, and regional cooperation;
- Be thoughtful, committed, respected and inspirational leaders within their professional fields and within their larger community;
- Be under 40 years of age by January 1, 2019;
- Be conversant in English (TOEFL exam results are not required);
- Be available and able to participate in all program components on the program dates specified; and
- Be resident nationals or citizens of the following countries where The Asia Foundation has programs: Afghanistan; Bangladesh; Cambodia; China; India; Indonesia; Japan; Korea; Laos; Malaysia; Mongolia; Myanmar; Nepal; Pakistan; Philippines; Singapore; Sri Lanka; Thailand; Timor-Leste; and, Vietnam.
The program is highly competitive. Staff from The Asia Foundation will evaluate each application thoroughly and narrow down the pool of applicants. Final selections will be conducted by a distinguished committee with expertise on Asia’s needs and development conditions. Fellows will be chosen without regard to gender, race, religion, sexual orientation, ethnic background, marital status, or financial need. All submitted application information will be treated as confidential unless stated otherwise in the application. The identities of nominees will also remain confidential throughout the final selection process.
2019 PROGRAM DATES
The 2019 program will be conducted in South Korea, Indonesia, and USA (San Francisco, and Washington DC) and includes a flexible small grant award of US $5,000.
August 23, 2018: Application opens
October 22, 2018 (Monday, 11:59pm PDT [UTC-7]): Application deadline
January 2019: Selection finalized
April 13-27, 2019: South Korea – Leadership Training Program; Indonesia – Workshop on Asian Development
September 8-24, 2019: USA – Leadership Dialogue and Exchange
For More Information: