Application Deadline- Dec. 9, 2018
The Reflect America Fellowship will bring a tenacious journalist to NPR for 18 months to help our journalism look and sound like America by finding new, diverse sources.
The fellowship is designed for an early- or mid-career journalist who wants to work and grow in one of the nation’s most dynamic newsrooms. The Fellow will have the opportunity to gain critical skills in reporting, writing and producing on audio and digital platforms while working with some of the country’s best journalists.
The fellowship is a series of three- to four-month rotations spent with various shows and coverage teams at NPR’s headquarters in Washington, D.C. The Fellow will be embedded with producers, reporters, editors and other staff, working to find, vet and book a diversity of experts and everyday people for stories and interviews on the radio, online and in podcasts. The Fellow will also support the efforts of NPR and Member stations to build a public media workforce that reflects America.
Application Details and Deadlines
What do I need in order to apply?
1. In lieu of a cover letter, each completed application must include answers to the following questions:
- Where would you look for more diverse sources?
- What news stories do you think will be most important in 2019?
- What are your favorite accounts to follow on social media when it comes to staying informed?
- Tell us about a time when you pitched a story or a source that was rejected. What did you learn from that?
- Tell us about an NPR story you think would have been enhanced by more diverse sources. Who would you have interviewed instead? Why?
2. Sample(s) of your journalistic work
3. The names and contact information for two people who can speak to your work ethic, journalistic skills and passion for diversity.
Do you have to be an American citizen to take part in the program?
No, but foreign nationals must have appropriate employment authorizations.
Who should apply?
Journalists with at least two years’ experience (including internships and other fellowships) in any journalism medium. A full job description and application can be found here.
How do I apply?
For More Information: