UNIS Geneva – Communications Intern for Social Media
Job Title: Social Media Intern
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
Department: Information Service, United Nations Office at Geneva
Start Date: 1 June 2016
Duration: 3 to 6 months
Social media is a central and essential component of United Nations Information Service (UNIS) at Geneva’s efforts to engage key audiences, both in everyday communications work about what is happening at the United Nations Office at Geneva
– and wider International Geneva community – and through major UN-wide media and
UNIS is offering an opportunity for a young person to join the team as a social media
intern. The internship will provide a great opportunity to learn about United Nations
public information and digital outreach, alongside desirable technical skills and
competencies that will serve any candidate seeking a career in public information in an
international organization very well.
The intern will be located within UNIS and report to two Public Information Officers.
The work will include drafting messages for the lead UN Geneva accounts on Twitter,
Facebook and Instagram, and also using Facebook Live, Periscope, Vine, Tumblr and
Snapchat, to engage the UN Geneva social media audience. A key element will be
using the online editorial calendar on Trello to assist with cross-department and duty
station coordination, and to monitor the social media accounts.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the two Public Information Officers, the intern’s duties will include the following:
• Use the UNIS Trello Boards to plan content ahead of time and maintain weekly editorial calendars, collecting and collating multimedia information from various
other sources and departments.
• Draft and schedule posts for Twitter and Facebook, and select photos for Instagram
• Monitor various sources for new content and information about what is happening at the United Nations Geneva on a given week.
• Research interesting posts from partners and schedule retweets.
• Actively expand the network of followers.
• Monitor the social media accounts for potential retweets and questions, and flag them to the supervisors.
• Monitor the social media accounts for negative comments, and flag them to the supervisors.
• Support live coverage of special events.
• Carry out other tasks as requested by the United Nations Information Service
• A strong interest in the work of the United Nations and how the broader United Nations family uses social media to communicate with the world.
• An understanding of internet communications strategies and social media trends
• A passion for communication and content creation: a great writer who is detail-oriented and skilled at summarizing information to tell a story.
• Experience writing for social media sites, websites or blogs.
• Content management skills – familiarity with Trello, Tweetdeck an advantage.
• Social media skills – adept and experienced at using platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Vine, Snapchat and Tumblr.
• Experience editing images or preparing graphics for social media posts.
• Experience of creating videos for social media – i.e. recording short clips on a smart phone, to using Facebook Live or editing clips within the Twitter app, as well as adding basic captions.
• Experience of working in fast-moving and sensitive news, communications or advocacy contexts.
• Good sense of initiative, organized, multi-tasking abilities!
• Must be enrolled in the final year of a Bachelor or Master’s degree programme, or apply within one year of the graduation
• Fluent in English. French is strongly desirable. Knowledge of any other official UN languages is a plus
For More Information: