University of Edinburgh Futures Institute Research Awards 2018
Application Deadline- 28 February 2018.
Applications are now open for the Edinburgh Futures Institute Research Awards.
Funding of up to £5,000 will be made to staff from across the University to support research which identifies new interdisciplinary questions that can be taken forward as part of the Institute’s vision.
The Edinburgh Futures Institute will pioneer new interdisciplinary research with the potential of transforming people’s lives, weaving data science through the arts, humanities and social sciences to address major challenges in the economy, education and society.
The deadline for research awards applications is 28 February 2018.
Up to five awards will be granted funding.
Criteria and application process
Applications are open to all University of Edinburgh staff. The application form asks you three basic questions:
- To explain what your research question is and why this interdisciplinary question is important (e.g. offers new theoretical insights that challenge conventional wisdom; applies novel theory and methods in fresh contexts);
- To identify how your question can be taken forward as part of EFI’s research vision;
- To highlight how you will work with other parties (e.g. governments, organisations, universities, communities, individuals, businesses) to develop answers to the proposed question.
Entries will be sifted by an interdisciplinary judging panel led by Professor Francis Greene.
The panel is looking for interdisciplinary research questions that are risky, challenge existing theoretical and methodological paradigms, and have the potential for social transformation.
- A short-list of invited research questions will be invited to a ‘pitch to peers’ session to be held in mid-March 2018. Applicants have to commit to attend this half-day session where they will have to pitch their research question. If they are unable to attend, their application will not go forward.
- Shortlisted applicants also agree to their proposal appearing in EFI material. The shortlisted applicants and the judging panel will assess award pitches. The judging panel will make the final funding decisions. Funding decisions will be made immediately after the ‘pitch to peers’ session.
- Award recipients have to document all expenditures.
- Funding has to be spent by the end of the financial year 2017/2018 [31 July]
- All expenditure must comply with University policy and procedures.
- Recipients have to agree to provide a write up, suitable for appearing on the EFI website, that documents their project and what they did with the award by October 2018.
If you have any queries, please email email@example.com
- Save the application form to your computer/device: EFI RF award (PDF)
- Complete the award form in Adobe Reader
- Save it in the format ‘lastname_firstname_rf_award.pdf‘
- Fill in the fields on the right, attach your completed application, then click ‘Send‘
For More Information: