Application Deadline: July 15 2015
National Organization for Women (NOW) is the largest, most comprehensive feminist advocacy group in the United States with hundreds of thousands of contributing members and hundreds of state and local chapters across all 50 states and the District of Columbia.
Each semester NOW interns participate in a wide range of activities that provide them with the tools and knowledge to become activist leaders, such as:
- A Comprehensive leadership training
- Frequent opportunities to organize and attend Congressional and U.S. Supreme Court hearings, press conferences, demonstrations, and rallies
- Training in our successful, time-honored grassroots organizing tactics
- Weekly intern discussion groups and field trips on a wide range of feminist issues
Interns will work with one of the following teams
- Communications Team: Research, draft and edit articles for NOW’s various publications (including the blog), email communications (including advocacy, fundraising, and monthly newsletters) and social media platforms.
- Digital Communications: Do you follow the news and breaking events on Twitter, Facebook, and other social media sites? Are you passionate about women’s issues and social change? Do you blog and vlog, tweet and snapchat, and wear your politics on your feed? If you are interested in making lasting contributions in digital advocacy and fundraising at the largest organization of feminist activists in the United States, then you should join our Online Communications Internship Program.
- Field Organizing Team: Get involved in the nuts and bolts of grassroots organizing for NOW’s broad range of priority issues. Work on rallies, campaigns, chapter development, and materials development.
- Government Relations/Public Policy Team: Characterized by lobbying as well as legislative research and writing.
- Membership/Fundraising Team: Learn highly marketable skills for the non-profit world by providing customer service to donors, assisting with data management and communicating with chapter leaders and activists.
- Political Action Committee: Assist with NOW PAC organizing, including meeting with candidates, processing endorsement requests, and researching candidates’ records on women’s rights issues.
- President’s Office: Work directly with NOW’s President and her Assistant, staffing the president at speaking events, as well as outreach meetings with heads of allied organizations. Learn first-hand how a grassroots activist organization works.
Prospective interns should be hard working, enthusiastic and flexible individuals who possess or seek a working knowledge of women’s issues and feminist organizing.
- Interns should also be committed to continuing to struggle for equality and justice once they leave the internship program and return to their campuses and communities.
- A minimum of 3 days per week is required.
- Full time interns are preferred.
NOW offers volunteer, unpaid internship opportunities, both full and part time, throughout the year. College credit for these internships can be arranged.
How To Apply
Interested interns must send the following to email@example.com: 1. A completed application form 2. A cover letter 3. A resume 4. Two letters of recommendation 5. A writing Sample (1-3 pages)