Application Deadline: May 1st, 2016
The FUBright Mobility Allowance aims at supporting international doctoral candidates of Freie Universität Berlin who are planning a research stay at a university or non-university research institution abroad within the context of their dissertation project.
The FUBright Mobility Allowance addresses those international doctoral candidates who do not receive mobility funding from elsewhere.
In 2016, up to twelve FUBright Mobility Allowances will be granted. In general, research stays will last six weeks. In exceptional cases and dependent on the budget, they may be extended for up to three months.
The allowances consist of travel and subsistence lump sums. They are calculated according to the rules of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD).
All international doctoral candidates of Freie Universität Berlin, independent of their research field are eligible to apply.
- be enrolled as a doctoral student at Freie Universität Berlin.
- be at the earliest in the second, at the latest in the third year of their dissertation project.
- be neither member of a third-party funded research project (e.g. Research Training Group, Graduate School, Collaborative Research Center, DFG Research Unit, etc.) nor grantee of a funding organization which provides travel grants.
- have been invited by a host institution and offered mentoring and a working space.
The research stay must
- be closely related to the dissertation project.
- take place at a university, a non-university research institute or a scientific library / archive.Please note: Field research will be supported in exceptional cases only, dependent on the available budget.
- take place and be completed in 2016.
- not take place at a private enterprise.
- not take place in the applicant’s home country.
- not take place in a country for which the German Federal Foreign Office has issued travel warnings.
- not be contrary to regulations in the applicant’s employment contract.
- not contradict regulations set by organizations the applicant is funded by.
Applicants are to provide the following documents (in German or English):
- Application form, signed by applicant and his/her supervisor at Freie Universität Berlin, assuring that no other sources of funding will be used to finance the travel and/or stay.
- CV (max. two pages)
- Abstract of applicant’s doctoral thesis (max. one page), including a convincing statement why the planned research stay is reasonable/necessary within applicant’s dissertation project at the envisioned point in time. The statement must be signed by applicant’s supervisor at Freie Universität Berlin.
- Time schedule and working plan for applicant’s research stay (max. two pages)
- Copy of the invitation letter of applicant’s host institution assuring appropriate assistance and working space
- Copy of enrollment certificate by Freie Universität Berlin
- Copy of the letter of acceptance by applicant’s department at Freie Universität Berlin
- Supervision agreement
Applicants will be ranked on the basis of the extent to which they meet the following criteria:
- formal requirements
- convincing statement why the planned research stay is reasonable within the dissertation project
- feasible time schedule and working plan
In case several applicants are ranked the same, lots will be drawn to select the candidates.
Please send your application dossier with the documents in the same order and numbered as listed above in one PDF-document via e-mail (subject: FUBright Mobility Allowance for Research Stays) until May 1st, 2016, 18 p.m. to firstname.lastname@example.org
Incomplete applications or applications that do not meet the deadline will not be considered.
For More Information: