2016 Paid Traineeships at the Council of the European Union
Application Deadline: August 31st 2015
The General Secretariat of the Council (GSC) offers around 100 paid traineeships every year, each lasting 5 months.
The General Secretariat of the Council is a body of staff responsible for assisting the European Council and the Council of the EU. It helps organise and ensure the coherence of the Council’s work and the implementation of its 18-month programme.
Applications for the paid traineeships must be submitted using the online system between June and August of the year preceding the traineeship.
The application form is available in French and English. You must have a thorough knowledge of one these two languages in order to apply.
Validated online applications will be examined as of October. First period selected candidates will be contacted in December at the latest, second period selected candidates will be contacted as of January.
Unsuccessful candidates will be informed by e-mail or via their EPSO account at the end of January 2016 (for traineeships starting in February) and at the end of March 2016 (for traineeships starting in September).
Successful applicants will receive an offer by e-mail stating the period of their traineeship and the department which they will be assigned to. Once they accept the offer,they will be requested to submit all the supporting documents, namely:
- a legible copy of their passport or identity card
- a copy of diplomas or official certificates
- proof or a substantiated declaration of knowledge of the languages stated on the application form and, where necessary, proof of professional experience
Compulsory unpaid traineeships
Applications for the unpaid traineeships must be submitted according to the schedule below:
- 1 February – 30 June traineeship: deadline for applications is 1 October of the preceding year; the selection procedure takes place in October – December
- 1 September – 31 January traineeship: deadline for applications is 1 April of the same year; the selection procedure takes place in May – June
The application form is only available in English.
Your application for the compulsory unpaid traineeship scheme will not be considered unless you send a complete application file. All applications must include:
- a completed application form
- a CV
- a letter stating your reasons for applying
- a copy of your passport or identity card
- an official certificate from your education establishment certifying either that you are required to complete a traineeship as part of your studies or for access to a profession, or that you are required to do research for a thesis or a doctorate
- a copy of your diplomas or official certificates
- proof of your professional experience (where necessary)
- proof or substantiated declaration of your knowledge of the languages stated on the application form
For More Information: