Application Deadline: April 29, 2016
The Regional Network for Historical Dialogue and Dealing with the Past (RNHDP) is now accepting applications to its second annual summer training program in Istanbul. Organized by Truth Justice Memory Center (Hakikat Adalet Hafiza Merkezi) in cooperation with the Alliance for Historical Dialogue and Accountability Program (AHDA) at Columbia University and Columbia Global Centers | İstanbul, the training program is open to civil society professionals working in the MENA and Caucasus region, working on issues related to dealing with the past, including (but not limited to) transitional justice, truth and reconciliation, historical dialogue, accountability, memory studies, oral history and sites of memory.
Participants will have the opportunity to engage in training, networking, and capacity building. The one-week program provides participants with the opportunity to hone practical and conceptual skills to develop a deeper understanding of dealing with the past, and to foster mutually beneficial relationships with their peers and with international and non-profit organizations. There are a total of 20 spaces availablefor this year’s program.
The training program will be composed of seminars and workshops conducted by international experts, including members of Columbia University faculty such as Professor Elazar Barkan of the Institute for the Study of Human Rights and the School of International and Public Affairs. Prospective seminar titles include:
- Historical Dialogue: Truth, Narrative, Evidence
- Theory and Practice of Transitional Justice
- Oral History, Truth Seeking and Gender
- Archiving, Documentation and the Right to Truth
- Prosecution of International Crimes
- Justice in Negotiated Transitions
- Shared Narratives
- Designing Museums, Memorials, and Exhibits
- Comparative Issues for Civil Societies in MENA and Caucasus Region
- Applicants should be civil society professionals working in the MENA and Caucasus region on issues including (but not limited to) transitional justice, truth and reconciliation, historical dialogue, accountability, memory studies, oral history and sites of memory.
- Applicants should have an advanced knowledge of English in order to complete readings, follow lectures and actively engage in discussions.
- Applicants must be able to allocate time before the program begins to read materials in advance that are required by the seminar and workshop leaders.
The program will cover the following costs for participants accepted into the program:
- Airfare to and from Istanbul
- Airport transfers in Istanbul
- Training Program Fee
Application deadline: April 29, 2016
Notification of acceptance: May 13, 2016
Program: June 13-June 19, 2016
For More Information: