Barcelona International Youth Science Challenge (BIYSC) 2017 for Young Students.
Application Deadline: May 1st 2017
Catalunya-La Pedrera Foundation launches its second edition of the Barcelona International Youth Science Challenge (BIYSC). BIYSC is a two-week international excellence program that aims to stimulate scientific talent among young students from all over the world. It is meant to encourage their enthusiasm for pursuing scientific research and careers in science.
Next summer, 100 undergraduate students aged between 16 and 18 years-old will have the chance to enjoy BIYSC from July 10th to 21st 2017 in Barcelona.
BIYSC has been designed with the aim to offer the participants a world-class experience by allowing them to work in English in small groups, on different scientific and technological challenges proposed by the following international research centers based in Catalonia, who are involved in cutting-edge research.
IBE participates practical course “Uncovering the hidden diversity of the oceans” run by the Multicellgenome Lab. In this course students will be the first one to study a new species of Sphaeroforma that was isolated from the gut of a crustacean from the Arctic Ocean. They will use in vivo imaging techniques in parallel with molecular studies with the goal of fully characterizing this unknown microorganism.
The requirements for a student to be considered as a candidate for the program are:
- Date of birth between January 1st 1999 and December 31st 2001.
- Good academic record, which must be accompanied by an eagerness and motivation to participate in the program. We look for talented and curious young people who, apart from having good academic results, have a genuine interest for scientific research.
- Good command of English language.
- Intention to pursue a career in science.
- Commitment to make the most of the opportunities offered by the program.
- BIYSC will recognize those students that show high commitment in their participation and meet successfully all the challenges proposed by the program, with two awards that will provide them the opportunity to be sponsored to attend an international event the year after BIYSC takes places, so they can walk the path towards their dream.
If you are interested in attending BIYSC 2017, be sure you meet all the requirements listed in Candidates’ Profile and proceed with the following steps:
- The applicant’s parent/legal tutor must complete and submit the AUTHORIZATION FORM.
- Once submitted, you will immediately receive an e-mail with the link to the APPLICATION FORM, that the candidate student will have to fill with the following information:
- Contact details of the student
- Official academic transcript/s
- Project in which the applicant wants to participate (3 preference options)
- Personal statement and motivation letter
- Explanation of the initiatives that the student will undertake to collect the necessary funds to cover the participation fee
- Contact details of the school teachers that will recommend the student (name and email)
- After submitting the application form, the applicant’s science/mathematics/technology teacher and the tutor/head teacher/head of studies will receive an e-mail with a link to the RECOMMENDATION FORM.
To enter the selection process is essential to submit all four listed forms:
- Authorization form of the applicant’s parent/legal tutor.
- Application form.
- Confidential recommendation form of the science, mathematics or technology teacher.
- Confidential recommendation form of the tutor, head teacher or head of studies of the center.
There will be three application calls:
- 1st Application Call: December 1st 2016 – January 30th 2017*
- 2nd Application Call: January 31st – March 31st 2017*
- 3rd Application Call: April 1st – May 1st 2017*
For More Information: