British Council ‘Generation UK – China’ scholarships 2018/2019 for outstanding UK students (Fully Funded)
Application Deadline: 29 April 2018.
The British Council in China is offering up to five ‘Generation UK – China’ scholarships for outstanding UK students who wish to study at mainland Chinese universities in September 2018 or February 2019 for one semester or one year.
Academic scholarships can be used at any mainland Chinese institution approved by the Ministry of Education to accept foreign students. You can decide where you want to be based and which subjects (at a non-degree level) you wish to study. The majority of students choose to study in Beijing.
All scholarships cover tuition fees, accommodation, and a monthly living allowance to help with day-to-day expenses.
Generation UK – China academic scholarships are available to anyone who is:
- aged 18 and above
- a British passport holder (or a British or Irish passport holder if you are domiciled in Northern Ireland).
- a full-time student enrolled at a UK university or a recent graduate (applying within one year of your graduation date)
- on track to receive or have achieved a 2:1 grade at university.
Students already holding offers from Chinese universities can also apply.
This scholarship can be used for any non-degree study of your own choice, at any mainland Chinese university with a tuition fee allowance up to 30,000 RMB.
The majority of students choose to take an intensive course in Chinese language, with extra modules where possible to learn about Chinese business and culture. There are also many non-degree English-taught programmes now being offered in a range of subjects at Chinese universities.
How long does it last?
Programmes are flexible and vary, with courses lasting from a single semester (five months) to a whole year. You can choose to start your programme in either September or February, within the same academic year.
How much does it cost?
The scholarship should cover all your basic living needs while you are on the programme. The cost of living in China varies greatly depending on the city you choose to study in and your lifestyle. To get the full experience of all that China has to offer, it would be a good idea to have some extra cash handy to cover any additional costs during your time on the programme, such as travel and leisure activities.
You will receive:
- accommodation at the university
- tuition fee allowance of 30,000 RMB a year or less
- a monthly living stipend of 3,000 RMB
You’ll need to cover the costs of flights (GBP 400-700) and arrange the necessary visas, travel and medical insurance, and vaccinations.
How do I apply?
The British Council China Scholarship is funded by the British Council in China and administered by the China Scholarship Council (CSC). The initial application and selection process, including supporting applications to Chinese universities, is handled by CSC. The British Council will conduct the final selection of successful applicants. For this scholarship, you must apply directly to CSC via post by 29 April 2018. Please follow the steps below to make an application to this programme:
- Complete a British Council Scholarship application form online.
- Register an account with CSC. The CSC application portal will be active from 21 March. In the meantime, please begin preparing your supporting documents. Once registered on the portal, log in and read the instructions on the home page. Internet Explorer (11.0) or Firefox is recommended for browser compatibility.
- Choose the category of the scholarship and fill in the agency number. For the British Council China Scholarship, the scholarship category is A and the agency number is 8264.
- Fill out all details on the application form as required, ensuring all information is accurate. Upload scanned copies of the supporting documents.
- When you have completed the application form, preview it and submit the form online.
- Print two copies of the application form.
- Prepare two copies of the application form and supporting documents required. Send the full package of application documents to CSC by post (application documents will not be returned).
Please send the following documents to CSC:
- Printed British Council scholarship application form
- Printed CSC application form
- Certificates of your highest qualification (e.g., degree or A-level certificates)
- Most recent academic transcript (or degree certificate)
- Two academic references (referees should be from your current university)
- A personal statement / study plan (500 words)
Two photocopies of each document above should be sent to CSC at the address below by 29 April, 2018 (applications received after this date will not be considered):
Division of International Students Affairs
China Scholarship Council
13/F, Building A3,
No.9 Chegongzhuang Street,
For More Information: