Application Deadline: 19 October 2018
The Prince Bernhard Scholarships were established in 1991 by the Foundation “The Spanish, Portuguese and Latin American Institute”, on the occasion of the 80th birthday of the late Royal Highness Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands. The programme has also been financially supported by the University of Utrecht and CEDLA. Each year two scholarships of 5,000 euros are awarded to promising young researchers from the Netherlands, Spain, Portugal, or Latin America.
The scholarships aim to support innovative research carried out in the fields of economic, political, or cultural relations between the Netherlands/Europe and Latin America.
At least one of the scholarships will be awarded to a research proposal in the field of sustainability. The proposed sustainability research project should be related to social, legal, economic or environmental aspects of the following topics:
• Climate change
• Biological mechanisms and changes
• Energy for sustainable development
• Land use dynamics and land use planning
• Ecosystem services and biodiversity conservation
Excellent PhD Students and graduate students (intending to do a PhD) from
The Netherlands, Spain, Portugal and Latin America are invited to submit an application.
Requirements for Eligibility
• Candidates must submit a research proposal for a three month research project that makes a valuable contribution to the international economic, political, or cultural relations between the Netherlands/Europe and Latin America.
• Candidates are supposed to master either the Spanish or Portuguese language, as they will have to present their research proposal in Spanish or Portuguese during the ceremony for the award of the scholarships.
The application should include:
• A research proposal in English. Besides an outline of the project, the research proposal itself (max. 4,000 words) should include a clear description of the intended method, a short bibliography, an estimation of the costs to be incurred and the expected results.
• Letter of recommendation by a professor, or senior researcher.
Applications must be submitted by e-mail before 19 October 2018 to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org
The selection of the scholarship winners will be decided upon by a Scientific Board, consisting of:
Dr. Christien Klaufus (CEDLA/University of Amsterdam), Chair
Carolina Valladares (PhD candidate, CEDLA)
Prof. dr. Patricio Silva (Leiden University)
Dr. Gery Nijenhuis (Utrecht University)
Prof. dr. Kees Koonings (University of Amsterdam, Utrecht University)
For More Information: