Reference: Ref. 1096
National | Generous Annual Bursary, Paid Summer Activity & 3 Years Employment in National Security
Have you ever thought of protecting online and digital services in the UK? As part of a Government Cyber Team, you could use cutting-edge technology to do just that. It makes for a truly fascinating career.
We’re looking for motivated individuals with a technical aptitude and real passion for all things cyber. With a number of varied roles in our CyberFirst Student Bursary scheme, it’s a unique opportunity to pick an exciting challenge that rewards you for your talent and commitment. If you are about to start your first or second year of undergraduate study in September 2017, you could benefit from a mix of financial and development support for the first few years of your career.
Quite simply, it’s a student development opportunity like no other. Working with GCHQ, industry and other government departments, you’ll gain unrivalled insight into the world of cyber threats, terrorism, espionage and organised crime. Cyber security is constantly evolving, giving you the opportunity to explore different challenges. Alongside your degree, you’ll develop your career in a way that you couldn’t do anywhere else.
The programme will lead to exciting roles within the government and industry – particularly in the intelligence agencies and national security organisations. You’ll help to shape and further advance our technical capability – including our ability to tackle national security threats.
To take advantage of this opportunity, you’ll be studying a STEM related degree at a UK University and / or have tangible evidence of understanding computers, how they work and how to secure them. During each summer, we’ll arrange for a security related placement – either on a specific training course, or as a work placement within a government department or industry partner. You’ll need to have a keen interest in accepting challenges in varied areas, as we value an emphasis on self-development.
- To support your studies, you’ll receive a bursary of £4000 per annum, tax-free.
- Each summer, we’ll arrange for paid employment activities within government or with industry partners, and you’ll receive payments of £250 per week plus accommodation.
- After graduation we aim to place you in a paid Cyber Security role within UK national security for the next three years.
- Whichever area you are employed in, you’ll be taking on real business challenges in cyber security operations.
- You’ll be working with some of the most advanced technology, developing a broad range of competencies including teamwork, communication and leadership skills.
You’ll be supported throughout the process by our CyberFirst team. Work-based placements will see you working on some seriously unique, real-world research tasks and projects. In addition, you’ll also be able to make a real contribution to the mission of the intelligence and other agencies in tackling threats to national security in years to come. Subject to suitable vacancies, and the successful completion of the three years’ service, you may be offered a permanent position within UK national security (although you are not obliged to accept it.)
- To apply for the CyberFirst Student Development Scheme, you must be a UK National and will have, or be expecting to have by September 2017: a place at a UK university to study a STEM undergraduate degree; or about to start your second year at a UK University studying a STEM undergraduate degree; and 3 A Levels at grade B or above with at least 2 A Levels in either Science, Technology; Engineering or Maths (STEM) subjects, or equivalent qualifications in STEM subjects.
- As part of the selection process, you will be expected to show clear evidence of understanding computers, how they work and how to secure them.
- Due to the high number of applications expected for this campaign, CyberFirst reserve the right to close before the advertised date.
The Student Development Package
Bursary of £4,000 per annum for each year of study*
2 x paid summer work activities at £250 per week **£4,000
*Up to £16,000 if completing a Master’s Degree
**Summer placements are normally between 6 – 8 weeks @£250 per week
Interview and Selection Process
As part of this campaign you will be required to undergo a staged selection process including:
• A minimum eligibility sift
• Application Questions
• Online Test
• Assessment Centre
For More Information: