Daphne Jackson Fellowship 2018 for STEM professionals
A Daphne Jackson Fellowship is a unique fellowship designed to return STEM professionals to their careers after a break. Fellows normally carry out their research part-time over 2 years, in a university or research establishment in the UK. The Fellowships are flexible and include a tailored training programme designed to update skills and knowledge and support you in your return to research.
Are you a scientist, technologist, engineer or mathematician who has had a career break of two or more years for family, caring or health reasons and wishes to return to research? If so, you may be eligible to apply for a Daphne Jackson Fellowship.
A Daphne Jackson Fellowship will help you update your skills and experience, and/or help you step sideways into a new area of research, where greater opportunities for future progression may lie.
To apply for a fellowship you must meet our eligibility criteria which include:
a career break of at least two years’ duration taken for family, caring or health reasons
a good first degree in a science, technology, engineering or mathematics (STEM) subject
at least 3 years in research prior to your career break and /or PhD qualification
resident in the UK with the right to remain in the UK indefinitely
a good command of English (spoken and written)
NB Any form of paid research during your career break will make you ineligible for one of our Fellowships. Any voluntary research during your career break will be considered on a case by case basis.
It is also desirable for candidates to have post-doctoral experience and publications.
The Trust will also evaluate applicants for their suitability for a fellowship, drawing on the following criteria:
- your personal background and experience
- the potential benefit that an award might have to your future career
- the likelihood of securing sponsorship
- Sponsored Fellowship opportunities are advertised. The field of research and/or the host institution may be specified by the sponsor. The sponsor/s will select their preferred candidate.
- Alternatively, if you know the area of research you would like to return to and/or have identified a potential host institution and/or supervisors, you can apply for a regular Daphne Jackson Fellowship at any time. If your application is successful, the Trust will endeavour to find suitable sponsorship.
For More Information: