Data Pitch EU-funded open innovation programme 2017 for Startups & SMEs ( Investment up to €100,000, equity free)
Application Deadline: 1st of October 2017.
Data Pitch is a EU-funded open innovation programme bringing together corporate and public-sector organisations that have data with startups and SMEs that work with data. It is centred around a competition with several tracks, which describe challenges set by the data-provisioning organisations, and an accelerator programme (6 months) to help startups and SMEs develop solutions to meet these challenges.
The startups and SMEs will put forward proposals for creating high impact, innovative products and services in response to the challenges defined by Data Pitch. Successful applicants will receive an important financial and advisory boost to their idea, with support to develop a concept into a robust and sustainable data business. Data Pitch is funded by the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme, and is being delivered by the University of Southampton, Open Data Institute, Beta-i and Dawex.
The Data Pitch competition consists of two calls. The first call opens at 12 noon on the 1st July 2017 and closes at 12 noon on the 1st of October 2017. The second call is expected to open in summer 2018.
Each call consists of a series of tracks that refer to challenges which can be addressed by applicants:
● Track 1: Data provider challenges
● Track 2: Sector challenges
● Track 3: Open innovation challenge
- Data Provider Challenges: These challenges are set by data providers and the solutions for these challenges will need to use the datasets provided by data providers. You can include other data sets in your solution as long as the data providers dataset is incorporated and the solution addresses the specific problem of the challenge.
- Sector Challenges: These challenges are more general and can be solved with a combination of closed, shared and open data. You need to state the data that you are using in your application and verify that you have access to it.
- Open Innovation Challenge: This challenge welcomes any other innovative data companies who have access to shared data and would like to suggest a solution.
Startups and SMEs will receive funding and support for their data-centric business idea, including:
● Investment up to €100,000, equity free;
● Introduction to investors;
● Six-month business accelerator with the help of the Open Data Institute (ODI) and Beta-i;
● Introduction to business partners sharing data via Data Pitch;
● Peer-networking and support via meetups in major European cities;
● Access to technology and datasets, as well as training and advice by Data Pitch experts.
Data Pitch builds on a series of similar publicly funded innovation instruments, including ODINE and the ODI startup programme. You can learn more about our success stories here.
Who is the funding
The challenges covered by the 2017 call of Data Pitch can be found here. Please read this document carefully to identify the challenge most relevant to you. Note the relevant datasets, as well as expected outcomes and impacts to guide you when you put together your application. If you have questions about a challenge or dataset please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Do not contact the data providers about the Data Pitch challenges as they will not engage with applicants prior to the evaluation in any way.
Applications will be submitted online, using the platform provided by Data Pitch. Applicants responding to a challenge in tracks 2 and 3 will be asked to prove they already have access to the closed datasets that enable their solution.
For More Information: