Application Deadline: April 5th 2018 5:30pm EDT
In partnership with Arcadia — a charitable fund of Peter Baldwin and Lisbet Rausing — Internews’ Earth Journalism Network (EJN) invites working journalists, particularly those from developing countries to apply for the biodiversity and conservation fellowship at the inaugural LACCCB 2018.
The conference has been organized by the Latin America and Caribbean Section of the Society for Conservation Biology in collaboration with the University of the West Indies.
Selected participants will attend a workshop on July 24 on regional biodiversity issues, conservation solutions and journalism approaches. They will then spend July 25-27 at the conference, developing sources and story ideas, interviewing delegates, networking with journalists and reporting on news from conservation organizations, governments and researchers.
All participants will have all their travel expenses, lodging and a daily allowance covered. We hope they will come away from Trinidad and Tobago with a rich stock of contacts, knowledge and ideas to support their future reporting.
The fellowships are part of EJN’s three-year Biodiversity Media Initiative to encourage stronger media coverage of biodiversity and conservation issues.
- To commit to attend all days of the fellowship. This requires arrival in Trinidad and Tobago by July 23rd and departure no earlier than July 29th
- To be willing to share a hotel room with another Fellow
- To have a record of reporting on scientific and/or environmental topics
- To be fluent in English (we recognize that of course a lot of excellent and important reporting is done in other languages but in order to fully take advantage of the Congress, it is important to be able to understand and communicate in English).
- To produce stories for your home media organizations as a result of your attendance at the LACCCB and be willing to post copies of them on the earthjournalism.net website.
- A letter from your editor or media outlet supporting your application (freelancers are welcome but must have a letter of support from a media organization that will publish or broadcast your stories)
All journalists from the Americas are eligible apply and a special emphasis will be on candidates from Latin America and the Caribbean.
For More Information: