El-Hibri Peace Education Prize Peace Awards Program 2017
The El-Hibri Foundation awards an annual $30,000 Peace Education Prize to individuals who have dedicated their lives to making outstanding contributions and demonstrating long-term leadership in building inclusive and socially just communities in the United States.
The prize is intended to celebrate and encourage individuals who embody the principles of peace, justice, and inclusion.
To date, ten individuals, including community organizers, scholars, and activists, have been awarded the El-Hibri Peace Education Prize. Previous winners have made a significant impact to building resilient, equitable, and inclusive communities through education, activism, and movement-building.
Individuals based in the United States whose primary work is focused on domestic audiences are eligible. These individuals will have demonstrated:
- Impact through leading significant initiatives, organizations, or movements that model inclusive practices and educate and/or build collaboration across diverse audiences;
- Innovation through effectively implementing cutting-edge techniques or approaches in community-building that reduce discrimination and promote mutual understanding, respect, inclusion, and collaboration; and/or
- Influence through the wide use of their approaches, techniques, or programs to catalyze positive cultural change and community-building that can be sustained institutionally and serve as exemplary models of inclusiveness.
- Social change activists or nonprofit leaders who have developed effective partnerships across sectors or implemented collaborative community-building initiatives that have demonstrably reduced discrimination against marginalized communities and affirmed human dignity using innovative programs and methods, such as social media, to reach and affect larger audiences;
- Thought leaders who have produced influential works on inclusion, social justice, and community-building that have significantly transformed cultural frameworks or narratives, or who have demonstrated by their own example significant social and moral courage and exemplary leadership in standing up for the rights and wellbeing of marginalized and vulnerable communities;
- Policymakers who have successfully implemented significant inclusion, diversity, and social justice initiatives across sectors or provided exceptional leadership in championing inclusiveness in community and educational settings; and
- Institution builders who have led and implemented significant inclusive community-building or collaborative social justice and ally-building institutional initiatives in academic (school or university) or practice (community or nonprofit) settings.
Nominations for all awards are accepted until 11:59pm EST (DC Time) on Sunday, July 23, 2017.
Award winners are announced in the fall and presented at the El-Hibri Foundation’s annual Peace Awards Ceremony.
How to Apply
New Users: Click “Create New Account” to complete the registration process. You will need to provide a valid email address, your contact information, and your organization’s information to register. Your information will be saved in our system and can be reviewed and updated at any time. To access a tutorial on how to create an account, please click here.
Existing Users: Log on to the EHF online portal using your credentials. Once logged in, please click the “Apply” tab at the top of the page to access the nomination forms for each award.
All applicants have the option to save their progress as a draft and log in at a later time to continue. We strongly recommend saving your application often and before logging out. Please note that staying too long on the page without saving may cause your login credentials to “time out.” If this occurs, you may lose edits that have not been saved. We recommend cutting and pasting your answers to each question into a Word document to save as a backup.
Please direct any inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For More Information: