Application Deadline: October 15th 2017
The Honors Internship Program is a 10-week, paid internship for undergraduate and graduate students. While exploring our exciting career options, you’ll work side-by-side with FBI employees at one of the FBI headquarters locations or in one of our 56 field offices located across the country. While you’re here, you’ll be exposed to the unique environment and operations of the FBI, and will have experiences you can’t find anywhere else. The FBI is seeking applicants from a wide range of academic areas, and you’ll be placed in assignments based on your educational background, skill sets and unique life experiences.
As part of the application process, you will be asked to identify your preferred work location(s). The application will allow you to select up to three (3) preferred work locations. If you are only interested or available to work in one (1) location, you should only select one location and leave the other two selections blank.
Relocation and housing costs will not be provided. If you receive an offer to intern at your selected preferred work location, but are no longer available to work at that location, the offer may be rescinded before the start of the internship program.
To find the closest field office to you, visit the Locations page. The FBI has 56 field offices around the country, each with additional satellite offices
Headquarters options include:
- Washington, DC (Main Headquarters and Washington Field Office)
- Quantico, VA (Critical Incident Response Group; Training, Laboratory and Operational Technology Divisions)
- Winchester, VA ( Records Management Division)
- Clarksburg, WV (Criminal Justice Information Services)
- Huntsville, AL (Terrorist Explosive Device Analytical Center)
If you select Quantico, VA; Clarksburg, WV; Winchester, VA; or Huntsville, AL you must have your own transportation to and from work, as no public transportation is available in these areas.
1. You must attend an accredited college or university within the United States full-time as an undergraduate, graduate, or post-doctorate student. Students are not eligible if graduating before the program start date (June 2018); exceptions are permitted to students continuing their education in the following semester.
2. You must have and maintain at least a 3.0 GPA. If you are a first-semester freshman, or your school does not provide a GPA, you must have maintained a 3.0 high school GPA, and meet one of the following alternate criteria:
– SAT: 1500 out of 2400, or 1000 out of 1600 (most recent SATs)
– ACT: 21 or higher
3. Must be able to obtain a Top Secret security clearance and be available for processing within the continental United States.
Selectees must undergo and successfully complete a comprehensive background investigation as a condition of placement/retention in the position. Prior to the initiation of a background investigation, applicants will be required to pass a polygraph examination and a urinalysis drug test. The background investigation will include a check of your credit history and criminal record, as well as interviews with prior employers, references, co-workers, personal associates, family members, and friends. An applicant may be disqualified from selection or removed from employment based on information obtained during this background investigation.
You must provide all required documents before the application closes on 10/15/2017 @ 11:59 PM EDT to be eligible for the Honors Internship Program.
All applicants are required to upload the three documents listed below when completing their application:
Submitted documents should be in a .PDF format. Please do not submit any of the following file formats: HTML, TIF, JPEG, DOC, DOCX, Password Protected, or Web Link.
*If submitting a certification form created by your school it must provide all requested information from the required FBI School Certification Form.
Additionally, you must fill in the Discipline (Major) and College/University categories on the application for your application to be considered.
Please use the guide below to determine the documents you must submit with your application:
- 1st Semester Undergraduate Freshmen /No GPA: Unofficial College Transcripts, High School Transcripts, SAT/ACT Score(s), School Certification Form, and Program Term Acknowledgement Form
- 1st Semester Undergraduate Transfer/Graduate Student: Unofficial Transcripts from previous school, Unofficial Transcripts from current school, School Certification Form, and Program Term Acknowledgement Form
- If you are graduating before the program starts, you must provide proof of continuing your education to remain eligible for the program. This must be submitted at time of application: Unofficial Transcripts, School Certification Form, Program Term Acknowledgement Form, Letter of Intent for Graduate School. The Letter of Intent for Graduate School must be a formal letter from the school you have applied to stating you have applied and are being considered for acceptance. Once you receive your Acceptance Letter, you will be responsible for uploading the letter to your FBIJobs.gov profile. Participation in the Honors Internship Program will be contingent on receipt of the Acceptance Letter.
- Veterans: Unofficial Transcripts, School Certification Form, Program Term Acknowledgement Form, and DD-214
- Disabled Veterans: Unofficial Transcripts, School Certification Form, Program Term Acknowledgement Form, DD-214, SF-15, and VA letter dated 1991 or later
- All Others: Unofficial Transcripts, School Certification Form, and Program Term Acknowledgement Form
How To Apply
The following instructions outline our application process:
- Establish an account on FBIJobs.gov by using the Register Now link or login using your existing account.
- Utilize the Search Jobs field to search for the job posting by entering the keywords “Honors Internship”.
- Carefully review the entire job posting to ensure you fully understand the requirements of the position. Once you have read the posting, select the Apply button at the top of the page to start the application process.
- Read the terms and conditions then select the checkbox to continue the application.
- Note: Once you have completed a page select the Next button to move onto the next step in the application.
- Answer all questions in the prequalify section.
- Note: Select the hamburger menu (≡) at the top of the page to display the “Save as Draft” and “Contact Us” options.
- Select the Attach Resume button to upload your resume. You also have the option to Attach Cover Letter but it is not required for this application.
- Select My Device and follow your computer prompts to upload your file(s).
- Answer all questions within the Online Questionnaire section.
- Enter your education information within the Education and Work Experience section. Completion of this selection is mandatory.
- Select an option from the Highest Education Level dropdown menu
- Select the Add Education button and provide additional information about your education
- Select the Done button to save your education details
- Attach the required documents to your application as identified in the job posting. Please refer to the guide above.
- Select the Add Attachment button then enter the Attachment Type and Attachment Title.
- Select the My Device icon and follow your computer prompts to upload your attachment(s)
- Complete the Additional Information section. This section is comprised of Federal Preferences, Personal Information, and How Did You Learn About Us?.
- You can complete the Diversity section or check the “I decline to answer” box. This information is only used for statistical purposes.
- Review your application. You can select a section title to review your responses. To edit a response select Modify.
- Once you have reviewed your application, select the Submit button to submit your completed application.
You must complete this application process and submit any required documents by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time (EDT) on the closing date of this announcement. If applying online is a hardship, please contact the email provided earlier listed in the vacancy announcement prior to the closing date for assistance.
For More Information: