Application Deadline: Eastern Standard Time (EST) on October 14th, 2018.
The FBI Honors Internship Program is a 10-week, paid internship for undergraduate and graduate college students. While exploring our exciting career options, students will work side-by-side with FBI employees at one of our FBI Headquarters locations or in one of our 56 field offices located across the country. The goal of this internship is to offer students experiences they can’t find anywhere else and to assist the FBI with building a pipeline of potential future entry-level employees. FBI Hiring Managers are seeking applicants from a wide range of academic areas of study. Interns are placed in assignments based on their educational background, skill sets and unique life experiences.
As part of the application process, you will be asked to identify your preferred work location(s). To learn more about the different FBI Headquarters Divisions.
Headquarters options include:
- Alexandria, VA (Information Management)
- Clarksburg, WV (Criminal Justice Information Services and Human Resources)
- Huntsville, AL (Terrorist Explosive Device Analytical Center, Critical Incident Response Group, Human Resources, Finance & Facilities)
- Pocatello, ID (Finance & Facilities, Information Technology)
- Quantico, VA (Critical Incident Response Group, Training, Laboratory, and Operational Technology)
- Washington, DC (Main Headquarters)
- Winchester, VA (Information Management)
If you select Quantico, VA; Clarksburg, WV; Winchester, VA; or Huntsville, AL you must have your own transportation to and from work because no public transportation is available in these areas.
1. You must attend an accredited college or university within the United States full-time as an undergraduate, graduate, or post-doctorate student. Students are not eligible if graduating before the program start date (June 2019); exceptions are permitted to students continuing their education in the following semester. An example of this would be if an individual was graduating in June 2019 but planned on continuing their education in Fall 2019.
2. You must have and maintain at least a 3.0 GPA. If you are a first-semester freshman, or your school does not provide a GPA, you must have maintained a 3.0 high school GPA, and meet one of the following alternate criteria:
– SAT: 1500 out of 2400, or 1000 out of 1600 (most recent SATs)
– ACT: 21 or higher
3. You must be able to obtain a Top Secret security clearance and be available for processing within the continental United States, Hawaii or San Juan.
Selectees must undergo and successfully complete a comprehensive background investigation as a condition of placement/retention in the position. Prior to the initiation of a background investigation, applicants will be required to pass a polygraph examination and a urinalysis drug test. The background investigation will include a check of your credit history and criminal record, as well as interviews with prior employers, references, co-workers, personal associates, family members, and friends. An applicant may be disqualified from selection or removed from employment based on information obtained during this background investigation.
Please note that if you meet any of the automatic disqualifiers or don’t meet the key requirements you are not eligible for the Honors Internship Program and/or employment with the FBI.
Applicants must meet all Eligibility requirements located on our Employment Eligibility page. Applicants will be automatically disqualified if they meet any of the following criteria:
• Are not a U.S. Citizen (born or naturalized)
• Have been convicted of a felony
• Have used illegal drugs in violation of the FBI Employment Drug Policy
• Have defaulted on a student loan insured by the U.S. Government
• Have failed an FBI-administered urinalysis drug test
• Have failed to register with the Selective Service System (males only – exceptions apply. Please click here to view exceptions.)
A standard applicant will be required to submit an Unofficial Transcript, the School Certification Form, and the Program Term Acknowledgement Form with their application. You must provide all required documents before the application closes on 10/14/2018 @ 11:59 PM EST to be eligible for the Honors Internship Program. Your application will be discontinued if you are missing the required documents.
There are a handful of circumstances in which an applicant may be required to submit additional information.
- 1st Semester Undergraduate Freshmen /No GPA: Unofficial College Transcripts, High School Transcripts, SAT/ACT Score(s), School Certification Form, and Program Term Acknowledgement Form. Your unofficial transcripts should show you have enrolled in classes and are a full-time student.
- 1st Semester Undergraduate Transfer/Graduate Student: Unofficial Transcripts from previous school, Unofficial Transcripts from current school, School Certification Form, and Program Term Acknowledgement Form
- If you are graduating before the program starts, you must provide proof of continuing your education to remain eligible for the program. This must be submitted at time of application: Unofficial Transcripts, School Certification Form, Program Term Acknowledgement Form, Letter of Intent for Graduate School. The Letter of Intent for Graduate School must be a formal letter from the school you have applied to stating you have applied and are being considered for acceptance. Once you receive your Acceptance Letter, you will be responsible for uploading the letter to your FBIJobs.gov profile. Participation in the Honors Internship Program will be contingent on receipt of the Acceptance Letter.
- Veterans: Unofficial Transcripts, School Certification Form, Program Term Acknowledgement Form, and DD-214
- Disabled Veterans: Unofficial Transcripts, School Certification Form, Program Term Acknowledgement Form, DD-214, SF-15, and
- VA letter dated 1991 or later
The School Certification Form and Program Term Acknowledgement Form can be accessed below. Submitted documents should be in a .pdf format. Please do not submit any of the following file formats: HTML, TIF, JPEG, DOC, DOCX, Password Protected, or Web Link.
• School Certification Form *
• Program Term Acknowledgement Form
*If submitting a certification form created by your school it must provide all requested information from the required FBI School Certification Form.
How To Apply
The following instructions outline our application process.
- Establish an account on FBIJobs.gov by using the Register Now link or login using your existing account.
- Utilize the Search Jobs field to search for the job posting by entering the keywords “Honors Internship”.
- Carefully review the entire job posting to ensure you fully understand the requirements of the position. Once you have read the posting, select the Apply button at the top of the page to start the application process.
- Read the terms and conditions then select the checkbox to continue the application.
- Note: Once you have completed a page select the Next button to move onto the next step in the application.
- Answer all questions in the prequalify section.
- Note: Select the hamburger menu (≡) at the top of the page to display the “Save as Draft” and “Contact Us” options.
- Select the Attach Resume button to upload your resume. You also have the option to Attach Cover Letter but it is not required for this application.
- Select My Device and follow your computer prompts to upload your file(s).
- Answer all questions within the Online Questionnaire section.
- Enter your education information within the Education and Work Experience section.
- Select an option from the Highest Education Level dropdown menu
- Select the Add Education button and provide additional information about your education
- Select the Done button to save your education details
- Attach the required documents to your application as identified in the job posting. Please refer to the guide above.
- Select the Add Attachment button then enter the Attachment Type and Attachment Title.
- Select the My Device icon and follow your computer prompts to upload your attachment(s)
- Complete the Additional Information section. This section is comprised of Federal Preferences, Personal Information, and How Did You Learn About Us?.
- You can complete the Diversity section or check the “I decline to answer” box. This information is only used for statistical purposes.
- Review your application. You can select a section title to review your responses. To edit a response select Modify.
- Once you have reviewed your application, select the Submit button to submit your completed application.
You must complete this application process and submit any required documents by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (EST) on October 14th, 2018. If applying online is a hardship, please contact email@example.com prior to the closing date for assistance.
For More Information: