Application Deadline: May 14, 2018.
Girls on Boards, launched in 2017, places community minded, motivated and trained young women living in Canada, between the ages of 18 -25, on non-profit governance boards in their communities. T After completing online trainings and several months of coaching with a G(irls)20 approved coach, young women (“Future Board Members”) begin their 1-year term on the board.
What else is involved?
Future Board Members take the online DiverseCity onBoards training which covers:
- Board Essentials
- Legal Roles & Responsibilities
- Finance Fundamentals
- Commitment to Diversity
- Risk Management
- Strategic Planning
- Resource Development
Future Board Members, Coaches and Board Mentors all take Gender-Based Analysis Training to lean how:
- Unconscious or implicit bias in the workplace
- Gender bias interacts with race, class, age, ability
- To conduct gender analysis on workplace policies, culture, and organizations’ programming
- To develop policy interventions to address gender inequities
Coaching and board mentorship – Each young woman is matched with an older woman, established in her career (minimum 2+ years board experience) as well as a mentor on her board – both support the Future Board Member’s professional and emotional growth.
Private online portal– Peer-to-peer learning by sharing experiences, seeking input on challenges, sharing resources, and participate in a bi-monthly “Ask Me Anything” online panel with a board mentor.
In-person Forum – In September 2018, G(irls)20 will host an in-person forum to convene all participants in order host focus groups and share out best practices.
- Any young woman living in Canada, born between 1993-2001 (inclusive)
- Eagerness to contribute to their community and country;
- Ready to commit 1 year of volunteer service to her community
How long is the commitment for Boards/Coaches/Participants?
- Participants: Training (about 12 hours to complete the on line course between June and August); Board involvement (a minimum one year); working with a coach (1 year).
- Coaches: 1 year; summer 2018 will require a commitment of approximately 5 hours per month. Following that, we request availability for ad hoc check-ins with the participant. A coaching program will be provided for your ease.
- Boards: 1 year term (i.e. September 2018 – September 2019, depending on when your board sits).
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the