Graduate School of East Asian Studies (GEAS) PhD Scholarships 2017/2018
Application Deadline:June 23, 2017.
Graduate School of East Asian Studies (GEAS) at Freie Universitaet Berlin (Germany) is inviting applications for a doctoral fellowship in social sciences with focus on international law and China
The Graduate School brings together research in East Asian Studies (Japanese, Korean and Chinese Studies) with training in the social sciences (Political Science, Economics, Law, Social and Cultural Anthropology) as well as History and Cultural Studies. The training program is interdisciplinary with special emphasis on historically and culturally informed social science inquiry.
The doctoral position involves undertaking research within the working group on “Sovereignty and International Law in China” (2017-2019), led by the GEAS Einstein Visiting Fellow Plus, Prof. Gunter Schubert (Tübingen).The doctoral student will conduct a research project investigating Chinese discourses on global migration and refugee flows, China’s evolving immigration regime, and China’s exposure to international immigration. The project will furthermore analyze Chinese policies responding to these issues and the extent to which these policies are informed by norms of International Law.
The doctoral student works closely with the Einstein Visiting Fellow (EVFplus) and post-doctoral researcher of the EVFplus research group, as well within the GEAS graduate programme at Freie Universität Berlin. While working at GEAS, the selected applicant is required to register as doctoral student at either the Faculty of Economics and Social Sciences or the Faculty of Humanities at the University of Tübingen, under the supervision of Einstein Fellow Prof. Gunter Schubert.
- Completed MA degree by the time of appointment in ChineseStudies
- Disciplinary background in the social sciences or International Law
- Fluency in Mandarin Chinese (speaking and reading) and English
- Very good knowledge of qualitative or quantitative research methods
- Interdisciplinary research experience
- Fluency in German
- Experience of spending time in East Asia (student exchange/internships)
Required documents (in one single pdf please!):
- BA transcripts and official BA diploma/certificate (or equivalent, such as the German Zwischenprüfung)
- MA transcripts (transcripts should be updated, if graduation is scheduled after the application period)
- official MA diploma/certificate, if applicable
- English language proficiency (C1; TOEFL/IELTS test necessary for admission. Must be handed in by the time of interview).
- East Asian language proficiency (B2; either MA Degree in Chinese Studies or HSK 5)
- 2 letters of reference
- Additional certificates, publications, internships, etc., if available
- A scholarship will initially be available for 2 years. According to DFG regulations, a monthly allowance of 1365 € and a research allowance of 103 € will be granted. In order to receive the scholarship, the PhD student shall be enrolled as guest student at Freie Universität Berlin.
- The PhD thesis will be co-supervised by a professor affiliated to GEAS and its respective departments at Freie Universität Berlin.
Reference letters should either be included in the application or sent via email by your referees to below email address no later than June 30, 2017.
Please send the application in one pdf file (with a cover letter) quoting the reference code GEAS/EVFplus/PhD to
Graduate School of East Asian Studies
Freie Universität Berlin
For More Information: