Ida B. Wells Society for Investigative Reporting/ProPublica Data Institute 2018 Workshop in New York City (Funded)
Application Deadline: September 7th 2018
The Data Institute is BACK! A collaboration between The Ida B. Wells Society for Investigative Reporting and ProPublica, this 2-week intensive workshop will teach you how to use data, design and code for journalism. It will run from October 1 to 12 in New York City.
Over 2 weeks, we’ll cover the basics of brainstorming, reporting, designing and building interactive graphics and data-driven news applications. By the end of the course you should be able to:
- Conduct data research and evaluate the reliability of your data.
- Clean data and analyze data sets for interesting trends and outliers.
- Bulletproof data against common pitfalls and inconsistencies.
- Perform the most commonly used statistical techniques in journalism.
- Sketch and prototype multiple designs for a single project and evaluate the best approach.
- Learn how to use color, typography and layout.
- Understand how to test designs with real-world users and to incorporate feedback.
- Create clear and clean visualizations to help readers understand complex information.
- Understand basic programming concepts.
- Scrape a website, using either Ruby or Python.
- Know how to continue learning on your own.
The workshop will be project-centered. You will work on an interactive data journalism project — with real data — from beginning to end. Ready to apply?
If you’re a journalism student or journalist currently residing in the United States, and passionate about learning how to use data, design and code to help tell stories, this workshop is for you. You don’t need to have any previous experience, but we want to see that you’ve demonstrated curiosity about telling stories with data. Have you tinkered with data, design or code? You’ll be able to tell us in the application.
If you’ve ever felt intimidated by learning to code and doing math, don’t count yourself out, because we’ve all been there. Most of the teachers you’ll have at the Data Institute majored in the humanities, such as Journalism, English, History or Philosophy.
The Data Institute is completely free to attend. We will provide lodging and cover roundtrip travel costs to New York City. Once here, students will receive prepaid metrocards to cover travel costs to and from our offices. We’ll also provide breakfast and lunch every day of the Institute.
Additionally, we are offering a limited number of need-based stipends to help those who may otherwise not be able to attend. Requests for stipends are part of the application.
For More Information: