Application Deadline: 17.00 CET on Monday 19 June 2017.
The Permanent Representation of Ireland to the Council of Europe is inviting applications from suitably qualified candidates who wish to be considered for appointment as temporary whole-time Intern/Attaché.
Candidates who have previously undertaken an internship or employment of six months or more (or who have already had a second internship) in the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade or in an Irish Diplomatic Mission abroad are not eligible to compete.
The contract will be for 11 months. Candidates should be available to assume their position by 1 September 2017.
The position of Intern/Attaché involves, inter alia:
- Preparing for, attending and reporting on Council of Europe meetings, including Committee of Ministers’ Deputies, rapporteur groups, EU coordination etc.
- Research and provision of background material in relation to execution of judgements of the European Court of Human Rights
- Liaison with Irish Government Departments, in particular in the context of representing Irish position at Rapporteur Group on Social and Health Questions, and Rapporteur Group on Education, Culture, Sport, Youth and the Environment
- Effectively networking with other delegations and Council of Europe Secretariat
- Drafting of briefing and speech material on ad hoc basis, as required
- National of an EU member state
- Fluency in English
- Working knowledge of French
- Honours primary degree (a relevant post-graduate qualification would be an advantage)
- Good communications skills (written and oral), ability to work in a small team and manage information
- Good computer skills
- High level of commitment and flexibility
- Understanding of Irish foreign policy priorities and Irish government administration
- Knowledge of Council of Europe structures and history
- Work experience in multilateral or international organisation
- Good organisational skills
Salary and conditions
Salary will be €2,921 per month. Hours of attendance are fixed on the basis of not less than 43¼ hours per week, and officers will be expected to be flexible to accommodate the schedule of Council of Europe meetings and events.
The position will be based in Strasbourg and successful candidates are responsible for their own accommodation. Successful candidates will be entitled to 23 days annual leave calculated on a pro rata basis according to the length of contract.
Candidates should note that citizens of non-European Economic Area (EEA) States are not eligible to compete. The EEA consists of the member states of the European Union along with Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.
Please submit, via email, a full CV, which should include the names and contact details of two referees, together with a covering letter in English, setting out your interest in and suitability for the position to Ms. Agathe Andre-Wilson at agathe[dot]andrewilson[at]dfa[dot]ie
Alternatively to can submit your application by post to;
Ms. Agathe Andre-Wilson
Permanent Representation of Ireland to the Council of Europe
11 boulevard du Président Edwards
Applications must be submitted by, or reach the Permanent Representation no later than 17.00 CET on Monday 19 June 2017. Shortlisted candidates will be invited for interview in Strasbourg or by video conference from Dublin or another Irish diplomatic mission. The interviews will be held in early July.
For More Information: