Application Deadline: 18th June 2015
IPAN, in association with the German funding agency, DAAD awards a scholarship every year to fund one student’s participation in the US-German Summer School in International and Comparative Law.
Jointly offered by the Marquette University – Law School, the University of Wisconsin – Law School and the Justus Liebig University Giessen – Law School since 2009, the U.S. – German Summer School in International and Comparative Law has earned a global reputation for excellence. The Summer School is the flagship of law programs in international high-quality teaching at the Justus-Liebig-University Giessen.
All the courses taught in English, are designed to challenge and inspire our participants in highly popular fields of international and comparative law. The course combines high-quality studies along with two overnight field trips to Munich and Berlin. In addition, students are encouraged to attend German language courses.
You may choose 2 of the 4 courses that are offered (to be confirmed by the student upon selection for the scholarship):
- International Economic Law & Business Transaction
- Comparative Law
- Law of Armed Conflict
- International Intellectual Property Law
(An optional German language course is also offered)
- 8 ECTS / 4 ABA credits for successfully passing the academic program
- 1 ECTS credit for the successfully participation in the language courses
A grant of 1000 Euros towards the course fee of 1750 Euros (the selected student will have to pay the rest 750 Euros, which includes the registration fee of 250 Euros and also cover travel costs). This scholarship grant will be inclusive of:
- All courses including materials and a supplementary reading list
- Accommodation at a student’s dorm (single apartment with shared bathroom)
- Health, accident and liability insurance
- Free public transport within Giessen for the full course period
- Free Internet Access (Ethernet in the dorms, WiFi at the Campus)
- Field Trips: 2 three-day field trips (Munich and Berlin), Day trip to the Rhine River (optional) and other Social Events
- An opportunity to get published with IPAN
- An opportunity to get involved with other projects and activities of IPAN
The selected student will have to bear:
- 750 Euros Couse Fee (Inclusive of registration fee of 250 Euros)
- Travel costs to and from the city of Giessen, Germany
- Daily meals (cheap vegetarian and non-vegetarian food is available for purchase in the university cafeteria. The dorms are also equipped with self-catering kitchens)
The candidate must submit the following documents through email:
- A formal, two-page CV (CVs more than two-pages will be liable for an automatic rejection)
- A Writing Sample which must be:
- Original and not copied in any form (all applications will go through plagiarism detection and defaulters will be blacklisted from any future considerations as well)
- Written on any topic relevant to the focus courses of the Summer School
- 1000-1250 words long (including the title and references)
- Previously published or not published (if previously published, details must be mentioned under the title along with the web-link)
- Scanned copies of Official Transcripts (Scanned official mark sheets in case the Transcript is not available) detailing the grades obtained
- A Personal Statement of not more than 350 words addressing the following questions:
- What are your future career plans?
- Why do you wish to study these subjects?
- How have you demonstrated an interest in these areas?
- Why do you think you should be awarded this scholarship over others?
- How will this experience help you in your future plans?
How to apply:
All the required documents must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org in a zipped folder with the subject line as Law Scholarship_ (Candidate’s Last Name).
For More Information: