Application Deadline: April 28, 2017.
The J.M.K. Innovation Prize is an exciting initiative of The J.M. Kaplan Fund, a New York-based family foundation. In 2017 up to ten Prizes will be awarded to those – nonprofits and mission-driven for-profits – tackling our country’s most pressing needs through social innovation. The Prize will provide up to three years of support at $50,000 per year, as well as a $25,000 “bank” of funds available for technical assistance or targeted project expenses, making a total award of $175,000. Specifically, the Prize seeks to support innovation in the fields of the environment, heritage conservation and social justice. The Prize is particularly designed for early stage ideas being piloted or prototyped by dynamic visionaries.
This year, prize recipients will ideally present innovative concepts that fall within, in-between or in a matter related to the Fund’s three funding categories:
- The Environment – Reducing the pace and impacts of climate change.
- Heritage Conservation – Conserving America’s greatest monuments and places.
- Social Justice – Supporting decarceration and humane immigrant integration.
- Awardees are eligible to receive $50,000 per year for three years, as well as a $25,000 “bank” of funds available for technical assistance or targeted project expenses.
- Accordingly, the award amount will total up to $175,000 per Prize recipient over the three-year period.
- These funds are intended to allow recipients to focus their attention on their social impact idea.
- Awardees will also receive ongoing, dedicated support from The J.M. Kaplan Fund, including organizational development opportunities at in-person convenings.
- The J.M.K. Innovation Prize will be awarded to projects or ideas that: represent a game-changing answer to a clearly identified need; are innovative within, in-between or in a manner related to the Fund’s three funding areas; demonstrate the potential to develop an actionable pilot or prototype with Prize funding; and hold out the promise to benefit multiple individuals, communities or sectors through a clearly articulated theory of change.
- Some cutting-edge social innovation can be more impactful using market solutions, but may require philanthropic seed capital.
- Interested individuals or teams may apply for The J.M.K. Innovation Prize from January 25 through April 28, 2017.
- A short application will be accessible at JMKFund.org starting on January 25. A sub-set of applicants will be invited to submit a second, longer application for the Prize in late spring.
- A review of these second round applications will take place throughout the summer, with finalists being flown to New York City in the fall to present their ideas to the trustees of The J.M. Kaplan Fund.
- The Prize’s awardees will be publicly announced in November 2017.
For More Information: