Application Deadline: July 18, 2017
Hope and Dreams (HANDs!) Project is an annual youth exchange program, aiming to nurture a sense of common feeling and coexistence as a community shared by the people of Asia,initiated by The Japan Foundation Asia Center. HANDs! promotes dialogue and exchange among youth in Japan and Asian
countries in order to deepen mutual understanding. HANDs! also promotes the formation of a network among young leaders, as well as promotes collaborative efforts among them, in the field of intellectual dialogue on disaster and environmental education issues.
The intellectual exchange through knowledge and experience sharing between Japan and Asian countries within HANDs! Project will use a “two-way exchange” method, in which both sides seek to introduce and learn one another’s knowledge and experience.
By using this method, we believe a new creativity of knowledge and values will be created, and then by sharing, a sense of common feeling and coexistence will be
The HANDs! Project will connect youths, from Japan, Indonesia, the Philippines, Thailand, Malaysia, India, Myanmar, Nepal and Cambodia. These youths will be given a trip opportunity to learn about disaster and environmental education in Japan, Indonesia, the Philippines, and also a chance to have collaboration to create
projects for the community in the second year.
- In the first year (2017), the selected fellows will have an opportunity to go on two study trips for 15 days to Philippines, Japan and Indonesia to learn about disaster education in each country.
- The first trip, is scheduled to visit Philippines and Japan from October 8th to October 19th, 2017 (dates are subject to change), while the second trip is scheduled to visit Indonesia in February 2018 (date TBC).
For the second year (2018), the selected fellows are expected to propose a new project as their follow-up project, on disaster and environmental education to the Japan Foundation Asia Center, to be implemented.There will be seed funding provided to implement the follow up projects, under condition the project have to be approved by the Japan Foundation, Asia Center.
Applicants have to be:
- A young professional who have great creative skills and/or organizing skills (creative worker, social worker or journalist) with at least one year of working experience
- b. Applicants must have records of activities in the field of community building, desirably disaster and environmental education in their home country, such as conducting educational events for school children, helping post-disaster reconstruction, conducting social enterprise, etc. Applicants who worked on other social issues such as supporting children, handicapped & elderly, in deal with LGBT issues, women’s empowerment, and others are also encouraged to apply
- c. Applicants who are eager to learn from other countries’ experience of post-disaster recovery and disaster preparedness.
- d. Applicants who are open to new ideas and methodologies.
- e. Applicants who are willing to challenge one self and willing to try out new settings for creativity.
- f. Applicants who are passionate for creating his/her own follow-up project (individually or in a team), in collaboration with the Japan Foundation Asia Center.
- g. Applicants must understand and agree to the aims of HANDs! Project.
Hands! Project will cover the whole trip, with details as follow:
- International airfare
- International travel insurance
- Domestic transportation
- Hotel Accommodation
For More Information: