Japan Gaza Innovation Challenge (JGIC) 2017 for Social Entrepreneurs
Application Deadline: July 7th 2017
Japan Gaza Innovation Challenge (JGIC) is pleased to announce the launching of its second call for proposals for the 2017 Gaza Entrepreneur Challenge (GEC) Contest. JGIC, in partnership with United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA), is inviting proposals from social entrepreneurs interested in partnering with us to use innovative ideas to create new business and services that meet the needs of people in Gaza. The contest aims to nurture leaders for the next generation and foster reconstruction and self-reliance in Gaza through the projects to cultivate and support entrepreneurs who have innovative ideas to solve social issues in the area. The winning prizes are:
-Technical support by Japanese firms making full use of JGIC’s network;
-Management advice by local mentors, JGIC, and volunteers of social workers;
-Japan Tour if the political situation permits, the leader of the winning team will be invited to Japan tour.
JGIC hosted the 2016 GEC Contest that aimed to improve the living conditions in Gaza. Two of the ten competing teams were tied first place. One was the “Green Cake” Project which is on developing a new bricks-mixture by adding coal ashes. The other was the “Sketch Engineering” Project presented a solution for carrying heavy weights on stairs: a three-wheel stair climber.
How To Apply
- Please read through all the application qualifications carefully and fill out the application form.
- Please note that we will not be able to accept and screen your application in case your team does not meet all the requirements, has omissions in the application form or fails to apply by the deadline. Please make sure these points before applying.
- The team has an innovative business idea which can be a solution to some of the social issues and strong will to contribute to the life improvements in Gaza
- The majority of participating team members is women
- The team leader must be women
- The team has English skills good enough to smoothly communicate with Japanese supporters
- The team is composed of about 5 members
- The team is composed of members from 15 to 29 years old
- The team is able to attend whole GEC 2017 program including assignments given in advance and pre-meetings with JGIC and local mentors
- The team is able to actively participate in the entrepreneur support program by JGIC, including keeping close communication with local mentors, attending the monthly online meeting with JGIC, and providing the updated information, business plans, and reports.
- The team leader is able to participate in W-SEC2018. *Subject to the political situations and conditions of visa acquision）
- The team is able to contribute to the growth of Gazan entrepreneur community through the continuous cooperation with JGIC even after the end of JGIC support program.
For More Information: