L’Oréal USA For Women in Science fellowship program 2018 for postdoctoral women scientists
Application Deadline: February 2nd, 2018.
The L’Oréal USA For Women in Science fellowship program has awarded 70 postdoctoral women scientists more than $3.5 million in grants since 2003.
The L’Oréal USA For Women in Science fellowship program awards five women postdoctoral scientists annually with grants of $60,000 each for their contributions in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) fields and commitment to serving as role models for younger generations. The program is the U.S. component of the L’Oréal-UNESCO For Women in Science International Fellowships program. Celebrating its fourteenth year in the U.S., the For Women in Science program has awarded 70 postdoctoral women scientists over $3.5 million in grants.
L’Oréal USA partners with the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) to manage the program’s application and peer-review process. Each year, the program attracts talented applicants from diverse STEM fields, representing some of the nation’s leading academic institutions and laboratories.
The eligibility criteria are as follows:
- Must have a conferred PhD and have started in a postdoctoral research position by February 2, 2018
- Must maintain the status of postdoctoral researcher throughout the fellowship year
- Must be American born, naturalized citizen or permanent resident
- Must be affiliated with a U.S. based academic or research institution
- Must plan to conduct their postdoctoral studies and research in the U.S.
- Must be involved in basic research in the life and physical/material sciences, engineering & technology, computer science and mathematics
- Cannot be in a faculty position
- Must commit to at least twenty hours of activity in support of women and girls in science (e.g. mentoring, classroom visits, media, events)
- Must be available the week of October 22, 2018 for the For Women in Science Awards Week
The Selection Process
To ensure that the candidates who are selected represent scientific excellence, the program utilizes a two-phased application review process.
In the first round, applications are evaluated by experienced scientists in the candidates’ respective fields. In the second round, a distinguished Jury of eminent scientists evaluates the top-ranked candidates and selects the five winners.
Candidates are Evaluated for Overall Excellence with a Focus On:
- Intellectual merit, academic records, and accepted requisites for scholarly scientific study
- Scientific excellence and appropriateness of proposed research
- Evidence of originality, initiative and productivity
- Ability to plan and conduct research either as a member of a team or independently
- Potential for career enhancement if awarded the fellowship
- Relevance of budget proposal ($60,000 in L’Oréal USA fellowship funding)
- Choice of host institution and department mentor
- Commitment to supporting women and girls in science
For More Information: