M+ / Design Trust Research Fellowship Programme 2018
Application Deadline: 24 July 2017.
The M+ / Design Trust Research Fellowship programme aims to support an original research project investigating issues relating to design and architecture in the Greater Pearl River Delta region, and between the region and other parts of the world. Apart from expanding the current body of knowledge in these areas, it is hoped that the findings from the fellowship will also inform future acquisitions and other programmes at M+.
Applicants should engage in advanced historical research on either a single discipline, such as architecture, graphic design, industrial design and urbanism, or cross-disciplinary developments, taking into consideration the region’s cultural, social, economic and political milieus as well as its international and cross-cultural networks. Although post-1949 topics are preferred, exceptional proposals focusing on issues related to the beginning of the 20th century will also be considered.
The successful applicant will be attached to M+ for three to six months in 2018, conducting independent research, preferably on a full-time basis. The fellow is encouraged to engage in intellectual exchanges with the museum’s curatorial staff and participate in its programmes. While outcomes may vary, the fellowship should at the minimum result in a paper (5,000 words or more) disseminated digitally or in print through M+ and Design Trust’s platforms, as well as a lecture as part of the museum’s public programme.
Applications are welcome from individuals of all nationalities whose areas of research are in design, architecture or a related field. However, the provision of the fellowship will ultimately depend on the result of the fellow’s ability to obtain a visa for Hong Kong.
Applicants should either hold a post-graduate degree in a relevant discipline or an undergraduate degree with minimum three years relevant professional work or academic research experience. Proficiency in spoken and written English is also required.
The selected fellow will be provided a lump-sum stipend of up to HK$40,000 per month for three to six months to cover research-related and living costs. (The monthly stipend may be prorated for a part-time fellow, depending on individual circumstances.) An overseas fellow may request a one-time travel subsidy of up to HK$10,000, covering the cost of transportation to and from Hong Kong.
The following criteria are taken into account when assessing each application:
- Originality in expanding and reinterpreting existing knowledge, or producing new knowledge, of design and architecture in the Greater Pearl River Delta region, within a regional and global context
- Potential for expanding the understanding and scope of the museum’s current and future collections, programming, and curatorial strategies in design and architecture
- Proven ability of the candidate in undertaking advanced research
- How to ApplyApplicants are required to provide:
- A completed application form
- A full curriculum vitae covering education, professional experience, honours, awards, and publications
- Two letters of recommendation (academic or professional), submitted directly from the references
- Three to five pieces of relevant written work, published or unpublished
The deadline for submitting the application is 24 July 2017.
Please send all application materials digitally and address enquiries to email@example.com.
Interviews will be held during summer 2017. The results will be announced in autumn 2017. Applicants not notified within four weeks from the application deadline may assume their applications unsuccessful.
For More Information: