– First deadline: 25 April 2016
– Application deadline: 16 May 2016
– First workshop: 25 June 2016
- Have you always dreamed of becoming a leader who inspires others and drives change?
- Do you possess a burning passion or an idea to change society for the better?
- Do you want to meet and learn from inspiring leaders and other young Malaysians striving to make a difference in society?
- If you answered YES to everything and if you are currently studying at a university (or campus) located in Malaysia, this programme could be for you!
Youth Leadership Academy (YLA) is a 12-week project-based, leadership development program designed for local university students.
YLA believe that leadership cannot simply be “taught” in class, but is best developed by working in teams in a challenging environment to achieve a common goal. The program revolves around 2 workshops to develop your problem solving skills, a project to implement these skills, and a mentoring programme to further enhance your experience – making YLA a valuable experience for you in the future.
All YLA projects have one common theme – social entrepreneurship. We hope that you will benefit from this program and that Malaysia can benefit from your bright ideas!
Notable projects in the past have ranged from distributing day old bread to the homeless to writing, publishing and distributing a book on the legal profession to aspiring lawyers in high school. Social problems are notoriously difficult to solve, that is why we believe that getting bright young future leaders of Malaysia to come together and work on the most critical problems facing Malaysia will create meaningful impact on society.
The YLA programme consists of 4 main pillars that will help you develop the skills, knowledge and experience to fulfill your full potential.
1. Two full day capability forums & mid-point problem-solving session
led by McKinsey & Company consultants who will teach you how to approach, dissect and tackle problems through problem solving methods that we use in our engagements with support from distinguished speakers that will help inspire and instill confidence
2. A social entrepreneurship project
that you will work with your team to define, develop and even pilot. Throughout this project, one of our McKinsey & Company faculty members will be your project adviser and support you and your team in turning ideas into clear initiatives and actions
3. Speaker series
where we will invite influential leaders in Malaysia to share their experience on how they made their dreams come through, and how you can take small steps now to achieve your ambitions.
Past speakers include:
- Azran Osman-Rani, CEO, iflix Malaysia
- Khairy Jamaluddin, Minister of Youth and Sports
- Mark Chang, CEO, JobStreet.com
- Dato’ Seri Nazir Razak, Chairman, CIMB Group
- Sajith Sivanandan, Managing Director (MY, VN, PH, New Emerging Markets), Google
- Dato’ Shahril Ridza Ridzuan, CEO, EPF
4. Personal mentoring/coaching
from a host of distinguished mentors, who can share their experiences on topics ranging from career choices and work life balance to what made them leaders today!
(e.g. Johan Merican, CEO, TalentCorp; Chen Chow, COO Groupon Malaysia; Dzameer Dzulklifi, Founder and MD, Teach for Malaysia)
For More Information: