MedStar #Patient2Consumer Challenge 2017
Application Deadline: May 29th 2017
In the near future, the hospital — as we know it today — may no longer exist.
While the anchor of the U.S. healthcare system remains the big box hospital, more and more care is transitioning away from the in-hospital setting into convenient access points like urgent care sites, ambulatory complexes and surgery centers, home care, virtual visits, and other remote care options enabled by technology. And, hospital systems need to be prepared to accommodate this new trend.
Together, MedStar and 1776 are planning for this reality by launching the MedStar #Patient2Consumer Challenge to activate the startup community and identify innovations that can help transform MedStar’s approach. The program will recruit the best ideas — going beyond smartphone applications and patient portals — that will shape the future of health.
The MedStar #Patient2Consumer Challenge will take place in Washington, D.C. in July 2017.
The winning startups will receive prizes and the opportunity to incubate their idea in MedStar’s Innovation Lab cohort.
MedStars are looking for startups working on solutions and technologies in the following areas:
Experience: startups that can increase engagement and satisfaction with the healthcare system and empower people to take an active role in their own health.
Emerging Technologies: startups using emerging technologies, like Artificial Intelligence, Virtual Reality/Augmented Reality, Robotics, Internet of Things, and Blockchain to play a major role in improving delivery, providing care, supporting custom-tailored treatments, or using data in new ways.
Connectedness: innovations that make coordination of care outside the hospital more efficient; bridge connections among different sites of care, pharmacies and physicians; or optimize transportation and resources.
Money: startups working in the billing and consumer cost spaces that can create a more transparent system, generate incentives and encourage a smooth continuum of care — all while reducing out-of-pocket costs to consumers.
- The startup must be a for-profit business.
- The business must be a scalable product or service and in-market (MVP or pilots are fine but must fundamentally be beyond “idea stage”).
- The startup must have at least two team members.
- The team must be able to move to the District-Maryland-Virginia region for six (6) months.
- Your product must provide unique value beyond a user-friendly application or portal.
- You must be based in the U.S.
- Competing startups will receive:
- Pitch training at 1776 by mentors and experts
- Access to MedStar leadership to support with remaining questions about the Challenge on Day 2 of programming at 1776 DC campus
- One month of 1776 Union membership
- Opportunity to pitch and showcase to an audience of investors, venture capitalists, and MedStar representatives
- Free travel and accommodations to and from Washington, D.C.
- Winning startups will receive a prize package with a $20,000 value which includes:
- Participation in MedStar’s Innovation Lab Cohort
- Free lodging accommodations and living expenses
- Six months of 1776 membership
- Promotion on 1776’s channels
- Opportunity to pitch their company in front of VCs and MedStar executives for investment and pilot project opportunities, during a demo day after the six month cohort.
MedStar and 1776 will select competing startups for the Challenge:
- All companies must submit an application through the MedStar Challenge website by May 29th, 2017.
- Up to 15 startups will be selected as competing startups for the MedStar Challenge by June 23rd, 2017.
- The selected startups will compete at the MedStar Challenge in DC on July 13th, 2017.
- A panel of judges will select 5 startups from the competing startups as winners of the MedStar Challenge.
- April 25th: Challenge Launch & Applications open
- May 29th: Applications close
- June 23rd: Selected competing startups are notified and announced
- July 10th: Competing startups arrive in DC
- July 11th: Boot Camp Training at 1776 Day 1
- July 12th: Boot Camp Training at 1776 Day 2
- July 13th: MedStar Challenge event
- Late September: Winning Startups Arrive in DC
- Early October : MedStar Innovation Lab Cohort Starts
For More Information: