Application Deadline: January 9th 2018 at 11:59 a.m. (Colombian time).
The FNPI- Gabriel García Márquez New Journalism Foundation, the Michael Jacobs Foundation, and the Cartagena Hay Festival announce: Michael Jacobs Travel Writing Grant 2018.
- Journalists and writers of any nationality may apply so long as their work is in travel writing set in Spanish Latin America or Spain, written in Spanish or English.
- An autobiography of a maximum of 800 words (in Spanish or English) in which the writer describes their experience in travel journalism and their motivation for requesting the grant. Conventional resumes or curricula vitae will not be considered.
- A detailed presentation of the project (article or book) that includes a project description, timetable, and expected itinerary.
- The article or book must be written in Spanish or English. The project must not necessarily be finalized, since the project seeks to support a project in development. However, at least a fragment of the work must be submitted for the jury to evaluate the author’s narrative dexterity.
- A piece by the author published in print or digitally. The candidate must have at least one article or book published at the moment of applying.
- 7,500 American dollars as an incentive to finance the research and writing of the article or book. The sum includes the taxes to be paid by the beneficiary and the sponsoring institutions. It will be disbursed in the following way: 50% when the winner is announced and 50% once the work is finished and has been handed over to the publisher.
- The winner will be invited to serve as jury for the next edition of the Michael Jacobs Travel Writing Grant.
- Courtesy of the Asociación Manolo El Sereno (MAELSE), the winner will be invited to spend a maximum of six months in a house in Frailes, Andalucía, Spain, where Michael Jacobs wrote some of his last books.
NOTE: The stay at MAELSE does not include flights, meals, or personal expenses.
For More Information: