Peace Education and the Sustainable Development Goals in Latin America (Summer 2017) Youth for SDG Scholarships.
Application Deadline: April 25th 2017
This program is geared toward university students, and welcomes advanced high school students, graduate students, and life-long learners, participating individually or in groups. Peace Boat US will also offer two full scholarships to join the program. Please see below for details.
Traveling to Panama, Nicaragua, and El Salvador, participants will learn about meaningful development experiences and peacebuilding in the Latin America region. Beginning in Panama, participants will visit the United Nations Development Program (UNDP) office, exchange with with indigenous communities, and learn from youth working for the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Embarking onboard the Peace Boat in the port city of Cristobal, participants will pass through the Panama Canal and participate in lectures, cultural exchanges, and presentations on peace and sustainability issues while at sea. Arriving in Nicaragua, participants will learn about climate action and visit mangrove forests along the coast. After sailing to El Salvador, participants will disembark and join various educational activities including an exchange program at the University of Don Bosco in San Salvador.
Towards this aim, Peace Boat US is offering two full scholarships for young people working to advance the SDGs to join the “Peace Education and SDGs in Latin America” program.
Applicants are encouraged to review the Young Leaders for the Sustainable Development Goals website.
Applicants are also highly encouraged to participate in the UN Ocean Conference to support the implementation of Sustainable Development Goal #14: Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas, and marine resources for sustainable development, taking place at the UN Headquarters in New York City from June 5-9, 2017
The scholarship will cover the following:
- Airfare: NYC-Panama, and El Salvador-NYC (or equivalent price)
- Accommodation, meals, and travel onboard the Peace Boat and in ports of call for the duration of the program
- Travel insurance covering June 20 – July 3, 2017
Costs to be covered by participants:
- Personal expenses including gifts, souvenirs, toiletries, additional food, etc
- Travel expenses not directly related to the program
- Costs related to extending your time in Latin America either before or after the program dates
- Ages 18-30 years old
- Youth who are currently involved in SDG-related initiatives
- All nationalities, pending visa confirmation for the included countries
- Applicants must currently have a passport valid through December 31, 2017
Qualities we are looking for:
- Leadership skills
- Strong speaking and presentation ability ( in English )
- Experience volunteering or working in SDG-related initiatives
- Commitment and plans for continuing SDG-related work in the future
- In 500 words or less, please explain:
1) Brief background of your experience with SDG related initiatives
2) Why you want to join this program
3) How you can use the experience to further your SDG-related work
- Statements can be submitted via email to email@example.com
- Applications must be submitted by 5:00 pm / 17:00 Eastern Standard Time on April 25, 2017
- Selected applicants will be contacted by April 30 to conduct an interview via Skype. Interviews will be conducted no later than May 5.
- Scholarship recipients must submit a copy of their passport, one photo, and program application form within one week of receiving notification from Peace Boat US
For More Information: