Application Deadline: 16 May 2016.
CIFE and the Institut für Europäische Politik (IEP) start the PhD Support Programme “The EU, Central Asia and the Caucasus in the International System“ (EUCACIS). Funded by the Volkswagen Foundation and the Erasmus+ Programme, it offers scholarships for three years to excellent postgraduates who are working on a doctoral thesis in political science, contemporary history or economics on a topic of the programme’s focus at a university in the Southern Caucasus or Central Asia (including Afghanistan, the Kashmir region in India, and the autonomous region Xinjiang in China).
It is the objective of the EUCACIS programme to provide intensive PhD research training for its participants to bring them closer to international standards, to support them until they submit their doctoral theses, and to help them establish their own networks with other young researchers in the target regions and in Europe. This will be achieved through four international conferences (in Almaty, Berlin, Yerevan, and Bishkek); three PhD schools in Berlin, Yerevan and Istanbul; two research training stays; and continuous online coaching.
The programme is open for postgraduates who have started to work on a PhD or an equivalent degree at a Central Asian or South Caucasian university in the fields.
In addition, the programme provides intensive PhD research training to coach its participants in international academic standards and helps them to establish their own networks with other young researchers. It offers (travel costs and accommodation are covered by the programme):
- four international conferences in Almaty, Berlin, Yerevan, and Bishkek;
- three PhD schools in Berlin, Yerevan, and Istanbul;
- one research training stay of three weeks for individual training, supervision and research in Berlin;
- mentoring by postdoctoral researchers for three years;
- continuous online coaching including courses on methodology in political science, economics and contemporary history.
Schedule of the Application Process
– 16 May 2016: Deadline for applications (earlier applications are welcome)
– June 2016: Skype-based interviews
– June-August 2016: Travel arrangements (and visa application if necessary) for applicants invited to the selection conference
– End of August 2016: Selection conference in Almaty
– filled in application form (pdf for download) ;
– Curriculum Vitae (Europass welcome, available here);
– copies of all academic certificates obtained (original and translation into English);
– outline of the doctoral thesis in English (3,000 – 5,000 characters) including research question(s) and method(s);
– preliminary table of contents of the doctoral thesis in English;
– list of literature for the doctoral project;
– time schedule for the doctoral project until its completion, indicating its current state;
– enrolment certificate as a doctoral student of an institution in a target country (original and translation into English);
– letter of support of the doctoral supervisor;
– letter of reference (not from supervisor);
– previous academic work in English (seminar paper, essay, or equivalent);
– scan of passport or ID card;
– English language test certificates are welcome but not compulsory.
For More Information: