Application Deadline: Monday, February 4th 2019
PRB is currently accepting applications for its Women’s Edition South Asia program. Women’s Edition brings together senior-level women journalists—editors, reporters, and producers—for weeklong seminars to examine important topics related to women’s and girls’ reproductive health and development. The 2019 seminar will be in Kathmandu, Nepal, and will focus on child marriage.
Women’s Edition offers a unique opportunity to become part of an international network of leading women journalists interested in women’s health and development. PRB will select 12 to 14 women journalists from Bangladesh, India, Nepal, and Pakistan to participate in the Kathmandu seminar, to be held in late March or early April 2019. Successful participants from this group will be invited to another seminar on a different reproductive health topic in 2020 and may be eligible for reporting grants to fund in-depth coverage.
At the Kathmandu seminar, journalists will engage in sessions with health and development experts who will explain the reproductive health issues linked to early marriage, participate in editorial meetings to develop strategies for covering these issues from a policy perspective, and join site visits to see innovative programs in action.
Women’s Edition is funded by the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) and is conducted by seasoned PRB trainers who have been organizing Women’s Edition activities for more than a decade.
Intrepid women journalists who:
- Report from Bangladesh, India, Nepal, or Pakistan.
- Hold an influential editorial position–senior-level editor, reporter, or producer–with a leading media outlet that has a large audience, such as national and regional newspapers, magazines, and television and radio stations. Freelancers and bloggers may apply but must provide a letter of support from a news organization indicating that their work will be published or broadcast.
- Demonstrate interest in women’s health, development, and population issues and a commitment to covering these topics.
- Communicate comfortably and effectively in English during the seminars, though they may write or broadcast in any language.
PRB will cover all seminar expenses, including travel, lodging, and meals.
Applications must be received at PRB by Monday, February 4. Successful participants will be notified by February 15. Those selected will be asked to submit a letter from their managing editor or director in support of their participation in Women’s Edition. Participation includes commitments to:
- Participate in the seminar.
- Publish or produce at least one special report, a series of articles, or broadcast programs after each seminar on the issues explored in the seminar.
- Send to PRB copies of each report, series of articles, or broadcast program immediately after its publication or broadcast.
How to apply
Complete this form through PRB’s online submission portal. For your application, you will need to provide:
- Basic personal information and links to your social media pages.
- Your current CV.
- A statement of interest.
- A description of an important reproductive health topic in your country.
- Two examples of your best work.
- Two references.
If you have any questions about applying, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the PRB Women’s Edition South Asia program 2019