Application Deadline: May 31st 2016
The Raman–Charpak Fellowship Program is in honour of two Nobel Laureates in Physics, Prof C.V. Raman, Indian Nobel Laureate, 1930 and Prof Georges Charpak, French Nobel Laureate, 1992. The Fellowship was launched during the State visit of the President of France, H.E. Mr. Francois Hollande, to India during February 14-15th, 2013.
The aim is to facilitate the exchange of doctoral students between the two countries, in order to broaden the scope and depth of future engagements in science, technology and innovation. The Raman-Charpak Fellowship is the only Indo-French bilateral Fellowship programme jointly funded by the Department of Science and Technology (DST), Government of India and the Service for Science and Technology (SST), French Embassy in India, Ministry of Foreign Affairs & International Development, Government of France.
This programme implemented by the Indo French Centre for Promotion of Advanced Research (
IFCPAR/CEFIPRA) aims at improving the doctoral skills of Indian and French
students by providing them an opportunity to carry out part of their research work in a University / Research Institute based in France or India respectively.
The scheme also provides an exposure and experience about the current research methods and trends in
France/India, while discovering each another’s cultural context.
- This Fellowship programme is dedicated to highly qualified PhD students registered in an Indian or French Research Institute / University, to offer them an excellent opportunity to carry out a part of their research project in France /India, to establish professional relationships, to promote new S&T cooperation, and to experience another cultural context
- Applicants from India must be Indian citizens residing in India and have registered for a PhD in a recognized university or research institution in India
- Applicants from France must be residing in France and have registered for a PhD in a recognized university or research institution in France
- Have a Master’s degree (in science, technology or medicine) from a recognized University/Institute.
- Age: Maximum 30 years as on 1st April, 2016
- Students once supported by CEFIPRA, also in the framework of CEFIPRA projects, and students who have a permanent position in institutions/universities are not eligible
- Pre-authorization or prior consent from his/her Institute / University to apply for a foreign fellowship program [ No objection certificate from Head of the Institution] ( Not applicable for French candidates)
- A letter of recommendation from the Ph.D. supervisor in his/her native lab
- A letter of recommendation and agreement from the proposed host supervisor in the fellowship lab (Foreign Research Institute / University)
- Students can avail the fellowship from minimum of 2 months to maximum of 6 months
Fields of Research
- Atmospheric and Earth Sciences
- Chemical Sciences
- Engineering Sciences
- Life and Medical Sciences
- Material Sciences
- Mathematical and Computational Sciences
- Physical Sciences
- Environmental Sciences
For Indian Fellow:
Fellowship Support of 1500 Euros per month for daily expenses, local travel, accommodation charges plus Social Security charges
For French Fellow:
Fellowship support Rs. 40,000 per month for daily expenses, local travel, etc. plus accommodation charges not exceeding Rs. 45,000 per month
- One return airfare ticket in economy class between India and France
- Insurance coverage (travel & health) wherever is required
- Any administrative costs for Visa and Registration (if any)
- Carte de Sejour (if any)
- A Fellow may be provided with an additional support (up to Euro 500 for Indian Fellows and equivalent support in Indian Rupees for French Fellows) for participating in a Seminar/Workshop during their term of the fellowship and stay in their host countries
- The same will be limited to registration fees (if any)
- b) Air/Train tickets for travel including TA/DA claim (if any)
- c) accommodation charges (if any)
For More Information: