Application Deadline: 6 July 2016.
Scottish Book Trust has announced that applications for the New Writers Awards 2017 are now open, providing a unique opportunity for 10 unpublished writers who live in Scotland to pursue their dream of becoming a published author.
The New Writers Awards are managed by Scottish Book Trust in association with Creative Scotland and each year they provide 10 unpublished writers with financial support to enable them to concentrate on developing their work, as well as professional guidance to help them move towards publication. The awards also include a week-long retreat at Cove Park.
- Each recipient will receive a £2000 cash award, as well as tailored support including mentoring from writers and industry professionals, training in public relations, social media and performance and the opportunity to showcase their work to publishers and agents.
Applications for the New Writers Awards are open to Scotland-based writers who have not published a novel, short story or poetry collection and have a strong commitment to developing their writing.
In order to provide the best possible support, the New Writers Awards are divided into three different categories. Writers may only apply for one category:
- Fiction and Narrative Non-Fiction in English and Scots
- Poetry in English and Scots
- Children’s and Young Adult Fiction in English and Scots
The three poetry awards will be run in association with the Scottish Poetry Library.
- You must be aged 18 or over.
- You must live and work in Scotland.
- You must be able to demonstrate a strong commitment to developing a career in writing.
- You must not have published a novel, narrative non-fiction book (e.g. biography or memoir), a collection of short stories or poems.
- You can apply if all your work has been
- digitally published
- published in a pamphlet
- published as part of an anthology or magazine.
- published academically (e.g. standard non-fiction, textbook, academic journal).
For More Information: