Application Deadline: June 19th 2017
The Economist was founded as a print newspaper in 1843, but today our analysis reaches 40m people through social media. More people than ever discover us for the first time on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram, perhaps through a video or an eye-opening infographic.
The social-media team comprises creative and enthusiastic journalists who join us on one-year fellowships to help shape The Economist’s digital future. We are now recruiting three new fellows, who will each bring a different set of skills to the team.
You may have experience in presenting data in ways that fly on Facebook, and want to work with our data team to make stellar social-friendly infographics. Or you might have worked as a beat reporter and hope to collaborate with our picture desk on Instagram. You might have built a community around a podcast. Or you may be a developer who can come up with a more efficient way of resurfacing popular evergreen stories—while working with data analysts on the side. Or you might even be fast at crunching down a nuanced analysis for social videos, newsletters and push notifications. These illustrations are only some of the things we are looking for. We are open to your pitch.
All applicants must share an enthusiasm to work across The Economist. They will be supported by the central social-media team in London, but expected to find internal collaborators in different teams, from the editorial section desks to the product, data and analytics departments.
So does your experience and your skillset sit in the future of journalism—that is, involving digital, data or social media? Are you looking for a desk where you can learn, experiment and work with some of the world’s smartest journalists and editors? Are you eager to help shape and improve The Economist’s presence on social and digital platforms?
If you answer yes to these questions, we’d like to hear from you. Send the following items to email@example.com:
- CV and cover letter outlining your pitch for where you’d fit in on the social-media team
- 400-word post for The Economist Explains blog on a topic of your choice
- 200-word pitch explaining (or illustrating) how you’d promote your explainer blog on a social or digital platform
Successful candidates will be hired on one-year contracts and paid £2,000 per month. The deadline for applications is Monday, June 19th. Applicants must be eligible to work in the UK. Start dates are flexible.
Preferred qualities include:
- Proven experience working in a newsroom or as a journalist
- A demonstrated ability to produce content for social media and digital platforms
- An understanding of The Economist’s values, tone and audience
- Enthusiasm for collaborating with colleagues in different departments
- A good understanding of data analytics
- Experience with Photoshop, Premiere or Illustrator
- An awareness of what other publishers are doing on social media and an openness to trying new things
For More Information: