Application Deadline- January 8, 2019, 23:59 PST
The Indigenous Forestry Initiative (IFI) provides funding to support Indigenous-led economic development in Canada’s forest sector. The funding aims to increase Indigenous participation in forestry-related opportunities, businesses, careers and governance.
Types of eligible projects
The scope of projects funded by IFI is broad, with three general categories:
- Environmental stewardship
- Use and Management of forest resources
- Participation in the forest bioeconomy (e.g. biomass for heat/energy; pellet manufacturing, etc.).
Examples of types of activities that IFI funds include:
- Preparing plans/assessments that cultivate economic opportunities in forestry;
- Training and skills development to support forestry projects;
- Business planning, including startup or expansion;
- Development of forestry related tools, technology, products, and services.
Note: Natural Resources Canada has other funding programs to promote participation in the forest bioeconomy to reduce reliance on diesel fuels. See the Clean Energy for Rural and Remote Communities (CERRC) program for more information
Who can apply for funding?
Applicants must meet certain criteria and projects must have at least one partner.
- Indigenous communities and governments such as:
- Band and tribal councils
- Governments of self-governing First Nations
- Local governments of Inuit communities
- Métis organizations
- Economic development corporations
- National and regional Indigenous organizations.
- For-profit and not-for-profit corporations, partnerships, joint ventures, associations, co-operatives and institutions that are Indigenous or majority-owned and controlled by Indigenous people or endorsed by an Indigenous partner organization or community.
- Provincial, territorial, municipal, and regional governments working with an Indigenous partner organization.
- Academic institutions and research associations working with an Indigenous partner organization.
How to apply
Step 1: Email IFI for the application package
The application package includes the applicant guide and the application. To get a copy, send an email to the IFI email with the words “Applicants’ Package” in the subject line. In the body of the email include:
- Contact first and last name
- Contact telephone number
- Contact email address
Step 2: Fill out your application and email it to us
- Review the application and applicant’s guide to understand IFI’s purpose and eligibility criteria.
- Call a regional liaison officer. They can give you more information about the IFI program, talk about your project ideas, and help determine if your project fits the IFI eligibility criteria.
- Complete the application form and email it to the IFI email.
Step 3: Applications will be evaluated and applicants notified
- Only applications that meet the Program’s two eligibility criteria will be evaluated (eligible applicant and at least one partner).
- Eligible applications will be evaluated based on the information provided in the application, and the evaluation criteria outlined in the applicant’s guide.
- We will notify you if your project is successful to move to the next phase. A Regional Liaison Officer will contact you to discuss the next steps.
- If your application is not approved you will be notified. You can request to have a regional liaison officer contact you to discuss your application.
For More Information: