UNDP Communications Internship Opportunity with Partnerships, Policy and Communications Team (UNCDF) 2019
Application Deadline- 31-Dec-19 (Midnight New York, USA)
UN Capital Development Fund (UNCDF) makes public and private finance work for the poor in the world’s 47 least developed countries. With its capital mandate and instruments, UNCDF offers “last mile” finance models that unlock public and private resources, especially at the domestic level, to reduce poverty and support local economic development. UNCDF’s financing models work through two channels: financial inclusion that expands the opportunities for individuals, households, and small businesses to participate in the local economy, providing them with the tools they need to climb out of poverty and manage their financial lives; and by showing how localized investments—through fiscal decentralization, innovative municipal finance, and structured project finance—can drive public and private funding that underpins local economic expansion and sustainable development. By strengthening how finance works for poor people at the household, small enterprise, and local infrastructure levels, UNCDF contributes to SDG 1 on eradicating poverty and SDG 17 on the means of implementation. By identifying those market segments where innovative financing models can have transformational impact in helping to reach the last mile and address exclusion and inequalities of access, UNCDF contributes to a number of different SDGs.
Under the supervision of the Head of Partnerships, Policy and Communications PPC Unit, and in close collaboration with other colleagues in the PPC Unit, the intern will specifically:
- Write blogs, feature and success stories about results achieved and efforts pursued under UNCDF projects and programmes in the areas of financial inclusion and local development finance, based on relevant inputs from project/programme managers, partners and donors.
- Support the writing, translation, design and production of communication outputs, such as in drafting press releases and publications, and dissemination to UNDP country offices, UNCDF country and regional offices, partners and stakeholders.
- Draft policy briefs ahead of meetings of the Executive Secretary;
- Draft/update country briefs about key donor countries detailing their development policies and foreign policy priorities;
- Assist in boosting UNCDF’s presence in online communications and social media; provide assistance as required in the maintenance of the UNCDF online platforms including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube channel, Instagram.
- Provide technical support to UNCDF country teams in the development and appropriate use of communication and advocacy tools (i.e. newsletter, websites, posters, brochures, pamphlets) to increase visibility of UNCDF.
- Assist the PPC Unit in organizing events, launches of publications, seminars and conferences, global campaigns.
- Support colleagues across the agency on issues including but not limited to blended finance; impact investing; development finance; or support to Least Developed Countries;
Candidate must be enrolled in a degree programme in Social Sciences, International Relations, Development, Journalism, Political Science, Communications, Graphic Design, Marketing or another related field.
Applicants to the UNCDF internship programme must at the time of application meet one of the following requirements:
- Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent);
- Have graduated with a university degree (as defined in (a) and (b) above) and, if selected, must start the internship within one-year of graduation.
Additional assignment-specific qualifications:
- Solid understanding of international relations and development.
Desirable Skillset & Experience:
- Experience in online content development is desirable.
- Experience in communications and social media outreach.
- Experience writing analytical pieces on foreign policy, development issues, development finance is desirable.
- Prior experience with the multilateral system is desirable.
- Proficient in using new technologies, web-based platforms and social media networks; familiarity with the Adobe Creative Suite and other design platforms is a plus.
- Self-starter; organized; able to multitask, balance multiple responsibilities, and work to deadline.
- Fluency in English required. Fluency in French very desirable; knowledge of other UN languages will be considered a plus.
- In your application, please (i) state in one paragraph why you would like to be considered for the internship, and (ii) indicate your preferred start and end date, as well as your availability timeframe (3 or 6 months).
- Please submit your Resume/CV and an application using the UNCDF Internship Application form: http://www.uncdf.org/download/file/127/2509/internshipdoc
- Applications should include the application form and a resume. Applicants are welcome to submit any additional work samples or portfolios in one single file, preferably PDF.
- Please note that the UNDP jobsite system allows only one uploading of application document, so please make sure that you merge all your documents (CV/Resume, cover letter etc into a single file before uploading).
For More Information: