Application Deadline- May 1 2018
YES! Media seeks an experienced journalist for a one-year, full-time reporting job. YES! established this fellowship to help build diversity in the journalism industry and, specifically, to expose reporters from communities of color to solutions reporting. YES! values a diversity of voices and perspectives in its reporting on social justice issues.
This fellowship offers the opportunity to work with experienced writers, editors, and designers to bring the YES! perspective to both daily news and in-depth solutions reporting. Areas of coverage for YES! Media can land within any of our major content areas: Civil Liberties, Racial Justice, Environmental Justice, Native Rights, Economic Justice, Democratic Reform, and Wellness and Health Justice.
- The fellow is expected to write one short piece (800-1000 words) per week plus two more substantial pieces (1500-2500) per month
- Salary is $42,000
- Paid sick and vacation
- Health, vision, and dental insurance
- The YES! Media office is located on Bainbridge Island, Washington. Most editorial staff members commute from Seattle three days a week and work remotely the other two. Public transportation to and from the office is paid for by YES!
The person Yes!Media is looking for:
- You’ve got experience. You’ve worked as a reporter before, have clips that you’re proud of, and are full of ideas for stories.
- You want to take your journalism into the solutions journalism realm. You’re eager to learn how YES! does that.
- You’re an excellent writer with a clear and strong voice. You appreciate good editing.
- You’re curious and creative, always looking for an alternative angle or a marketable hook.
- You’re productive, quick, and independent.
- You have a deep understanding of progressive ideas and social justice solutions.
- You’re optimistic. You believe social movements have transformed societies many times throughout history and you bring that context to the current events you’re covering.
- You come from a community underrepresented by conventional media and are able to use that experience to help us achieve greater depth in our coverage.
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter, resume, three published writing clips, and two professional references. Yes! Media prefers to receive all materials as a single PDF, sent as an attachment to email@example.com with “Reporting Fellow” in the subject line.
Your cover letter should include your name, address, the community of color you represent, and the following:
- Tell us who you are, why you’re interested in joining YES!, and why diversity is important in solutions journalism. Up to 300 words.
- Pitch two article ideas. One pitch should be for a short, reported piece off of current events and the other for a more substantial feature. Each pitch should be 50-100 words.
- In a few sentences, tell us about your favorite media websites and magazines and which are doing great journalism—and why.
For More Information: