Application Deadline: Varying by Country
The YSEALI Academic Fellows Program brings undergraduates or recently graduated students between the ages of 18 and 25 to the United States for a five-week institute held on the campus of a U.S. college or university. Academic institutes cover the following YSEALI themes:
- Civic engagement
- Environment and natural resources management
- Entrepreneurship and economic development
These five week institutes, held on the campus of a U.S. university or college, will include an academic residency, leadership development, an educational study tour, local community service activities, and opportunities to engage with American peers. The program will conclude in Washington, D.C., to allow for engagement with policymakers, governmental representatives, businesses, and think tanks.
- Young leaders from all 10 ASEAN countries who members that are current undergraduate or graduate students or recently graduated. Participants are selected by their local embassy based on their background, experience, leadership record, and commitment to service
- Between the ages of 18 and 25 at the time of application, although exceptional applicants over 25 can be considered if they meet all other eligibility requirements;
- A citizen of one of the following countries: Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam;
- A resident of one of the following countries: Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam;
- A full-time undergraduate or graduate student; recent graduate of college, university, or other institutions of higher learning; or young professional who has recently joined the workforce;
- Proficient in reading, writing, and speaking English; and
- Eligible to receive a United States J-1 visa.
- Demonstrate strong leadership qualities and track record in their university, place of work, and/or community;
- Demonstrate knowledge, or professional experience in one of the YSEALI themes: civic engagement, environment and natural resources management, or entrepreneurship and economic development;
- Demonstrate a commitment to community service, volunteerism, or mentorship;
- Indicate a serious interest in learning about the United States and ASEAN as a region;
- Be willing to actively participate in an intensive academic program, community service, and study tour;
- Have a commitment to return to their home country to apply leadership skills and training to benefit their community, country, or the ASEAN region; and
- Preferably have little or no prior study or travel experience in the United States.
Application Process Timeline:
For details, please visit country-specific information.
How to Apply:
- Participants are selected by their local embassies. For details, visit country-specific application and recruitment information.
For More Information: